• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

donk79

donk79

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I found traces, but that's all and wasn't sure if they still exist.

Thanks, but unfortunately, other than a vague paragraph, their website doesn't list what they actually sell.

Thanks everyone. As far as the Cincinatti specialties are concerned, all very interesting but not what I asked.

Specific questions for now are:

Are  fresh clams easily available?
Ditto squid?
How easy is it to buy duck?

Bitter melon?

Also what is the locally preferred spelling of what I call chilli? Chile? Chile?

Jungle Jim's has a decent selection of live fish.  One of their many items of interest in their current sale flier includes cherrystone clams.  They carry a pretty good variety of frozen "exotic" meats which I am confident would include duck.  Squid might not be fresh either, but you will have to wait on the local report for that.

All of that said, even thought Jungle Jim's has a massive collection of hot sauces, this really is very foreign territory for this area.  Jungle Jim's is the extraordinary exception, not the rule.  Unless Southern Ohio has undergone a massive change, this is not an area that enjoys adventurous eating.  The endeavor that you have been recruited for would definitely be considered unique.

donk79

donk79

Thanks, but unfortunately, other than a vague paragraph, their website doesn't list what they actually sell.

Thanks everyone. As far as the Cincinatti specialties are concerned, all very interesting but not what I asked.

Ditto squid?

Bitter melon?

Also what is the locally preferred spelling of what I call chilli? Chile? Chile?

Jungle Jim's has a decent selection of live fish.  One of their many items of interest int heir current sale flier includes cherrystone clams.  They carry a pretty good variety of frozen "exotic" meats which I am confident would include duck.  Squid might not be fresh either, but you will have to wait on the local report for that.

All of that said, even thought Jungle Jim's has a massive collection of hot sauces, this really is very foreign territory for this area.  Jungle Jim's is the extraordinary exception, not the rule.  Unless Southern Ohio has undergone a massive change, this is not an area that enjoys adventurous eating.  The endeavor that you have been recruited for would definitely be considered unique.

donk79

donk79

Ditto squid?

Bitter melon?

Jungle Jim's has a decent selection of live fish.  One of their many items of interest Their current sale flier includes cherrystone clams.  They carry a pretty good variety of frozen "exotic" meats which I am confident would include duck.  Squid might not be fresh either, but you will have to wait on the local report for that.