• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

One of the special types of meals I've done for a husband is a few courses tied together by the same ingredients. The courses should not require last minute attention, and small portions over a  leisurely meal can be a lovely ambiance like a tasting menu. A modified simple version  of bastilla: use phyllo and poached chicken. The broth - add back the bones and simmer and reduce served in a small portion with small pasta as a first course.  Bring phyllo and whatever else fits in the ice chest to avoid the grocery acquisition drama. . Do spicing to his taste. It is lovely and you may have leftovers. Tone down or omit sweet on top if he does nt enjoy sweet/savory combos. A  green salad with light dressing to cleanse palate, and a sweet he likes with coffee and cognac after or bit later. I cooked in beach rentals twice a year for years and never brought a pan. Not great stuff there but one makes do. The vegetable suggestions above make sense but how veggie lover is he? 

heidih

heidih

One of the special types of meals I've done for a husband is a few courses tied together by the same ingredients. The courses should not require last minute attention, and small portions over a  leisurely meal can be a lovely ambiance like a tasting menu. A modified simple version  of bastilla: use phyllo and poached chicken. The broth - add back the bones and simmer and reduce served in a small portion with small pasta as a first course.  Bring phyllo and whatever else fits in the ice chest to avoid the grocery acquisition drama. . Do spicing to his taste. It is lovely and you may have leftovers. A  green salad with light dressing to cleanse palate, and a sweet he likes with coffee and cognac after or bit later. I cooked in beach rentals twice a year for years and never brought a pan. Not great stuff there but one makes do. The vegetable suggestions above make sense but how veggie lover is he? 

heidih

heidih

One of the special types of meals I've done for a husband is a few courses tied together by the same ingredients. The courses should not require last minute attention, and small portions over a  leisurely meal can be a lovely ambiance like a tasting menu. A modified simple version  of bastilla: use phyllo and poached chicken. The broth - add back the bones and simmer and reduce served in a small portion with small pasta as a first course.  Bring phyllo and whatever else fits in the ice hest to avoid the grocery acquisition drama. . Do spicing to his taste. It is lovely and you may have leftovers. A  green salad with light dressing to cleanse palate, and a sweet he likes with coffee and cognac after or bit later. I cooked in beach rentals twice a year for years and never brought a pan. Not great stuff there but one makes do. The vegetable suggestions above make sense but how veggie lover is he?