• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whistling tea kettle recommendation

glenn

My $150 Le Creuset was meant to last a lifetime. After 10 years of happy use, I guess something eroded the handle and I can't pick it up in my bare hands. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a non-electric whistling kettle only to be used to pour water in French press coffee maker?

Thanks.

This is the first whistling kettle we've owned, but we are happy with the $42 Pykal whistling kettle we bought from Amazon at the end of June.  It heats up well and is easy to pour.  Occasionally it is little difficult to get the lid off, but I guess it has to be snug or it wouldn't whistle.  It is also louder on our induction range than our other cookware.  I am not sure why that is, but it does heat quickly.

Thank you rustwood! It looks to be what I'm looking for.

I'm not familiar with infusers though. It looks like it has something to do with tea, which is something I don't care about. Is that correct?

The only drawback I see is that per the description, you have to wait 30-60 seconds for the handle to cool. Although my Le Creuset probably takes a few minutes to cool now, at first you could use the handle immediately. This is my entire reason for getting a new kettle. Do you find that to be about accurate, that you have to wait 30-60 seconds for the handle to cool enough?

I scored a lightly used Simplex for about $30 on eBay. Full price is an insane $399, but if it's your aesthetic they're lovely traditional kettles that heat quickly, whistle loudly, are an ornament to the kitchen and should have a very long service life.

(maybe you can land this one).

Edited by mumkin
Added a link (log)

Anyone paying $400 for a kettle...... I got a bridge over some swamp land in FL to sell ya as well!

Honestly, your Le Creuset is a solid choice.  I have had mine for going on 12 years now, only issue has ever been to need to tighten the handle.

Glen, I have no idea what the bit about the 30-60 second wait on the handle is about - was that from a review?  It whistles, I pick it up bare handed and I've never even noticed it was warm.  Yes, the infusers are for loose tea.  They don't look bad so I threw them in a drawer instead of the trash.

Rustwood, I reread the description on Amazon. Yes, I was referring to how long it takes to be able to pick up the kettle. I just noticed the description says you can pick it up immediately. One of the reviews says it takes 30-60 seconds. Not sure which is correct, perhaps you can answer.

Mumkin, what a super looking kettle. Glad you found a good deal. I would never pay anywhere close to $400. I would rather use a pot to boil water :). The one you sent a link for (thank you) has some damage and I would prefer something pristine.

TicTac, I was very happy with the Le Creuset for 10 years. I don't know why that all of a sudden the handle failed to remain heat resistant. I would consider buying it again, but it's time for a change.

Rustwood, I reread the description on Amazon. Yes, I was referring to how long it takes to be able to pick up the kettle. I just noticed the description says you can pick it up immediately. One of the reviews says it takes 30-60 seconds. Not sure which is correct, perhaps you can answer.

Mumkin, what a super looking kettle. Glad you found a good deal. I would never pay anywhere close to $400. I would rather use a pot to boil water :). The one you sent a link for (thank you) has some damage and I would prefer something pristine.

TicTac, I was very happy with the Le Creuset for 10 years. I don't know why that all of a sudden the handle failed to remain heat resistant. I would consider buying it again, but it's time for a change.

I have always had good luck with OXO kitchenware; inexpensive, made well, works well, wears well. I think I had this model before I went with an electric one, which I've since gotten rid of.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, glenn said:

It has a rather loud/shrill whistle so I always pick it up as quickly as I possibly can, before I even turn off the burner - so no delay at all.  Maybe if you let it go on whistling for a while the handle might start to get warm.  It also could depend on how full the pot is.  It is plenty big for my needs so I rarely fill it more than 2/3 full.

Thanks rustwood, I needed to make sure since that is the only reason I am looking to replace my kettle.

Speaking of size, it seems that there are no decent kettles made that hold under 1.7 liters, twice as much as I need.

• 3 weeks later...

Glenn, I imagine you have bought something by now but I have an update on our kettle.  We have noticed that if we aren't careful to ensure that the lid is firmly in place, steam will escape around the lid and the handle will get hot to the touch.  At this point I don't know if we have been a little more careless with the lid or if it is getting harder to make it seal tightly.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the responses. The problem wasn't the kettle at all. I changed gas burners on the stove and was using a very high flame. When I switched to a lower flame, problem resolved. Stupid me :)

• Like 2

index.jpg.420ed2e99ce5be8becf68fd8a1a73f30.jpg

(We won't discuss the day I spent two hours repeatedly disassembling and reassembling a computer, only to realize that I'd stepped on the power bar and turned the switch off...)

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

We have a very old Revere Ware kettle--I can't remember when I first got it as a present from my mom. I think it was when I first set up house for myself in the mid-70s--that's how old it is. Still whistles like a steam engine. Not as sexy as some kettles (if a kettle could be sexy) but gets the job done. It sits unobtrusively on the stove, unnoticed until needed.

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"