• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yogurt

birder53

I do agree that Total greek yogurt is a completely different experience, although the fat content of the regular is 10%!! It's sooo good with honey. (It's plain yogurt) Some stores also have the 5% and the 2% which are not as unctious but good as well.

Mmmm.....the Total full fat is wonderful, but at 20g of fat per package, yowza. and their 0% fat version is delicious enough that you don't need to splurge. I love it with Sarabeth's Peach-Apricot spooned in.

I have plain (usually nonfat) yogurt every morning with breakfast, and my favorite by far is Straus Family Creamery, from Marin County, CA. Not likely it's sold in the NY area, but worth a check. It's European-style, so it is more liquidy, very smooth, very opaque, and just tangy enough. For my money, it's the best. Stonyfield is alright, but it has too many lumps for me, and it lacks the smooth mouthfeel of Straus.

Haven't tried Total yet, but it sounds great.

Oh, and if you are in the mood for a cream-top whole milk yogurt, Brown Cow does do an outstanding job. And I second whoever mentioned Mamie Nova...when I lived in France, I often had their rhubarb yogurt for dessert. :wub: Mmmm.

She blogs: Orangette

I've never heard of Total yogurt, so I'll be scouting for that on the next shopping trip. Thanks!

We are fans of Horizon (organic) yogurt. Not the nonfat kind. Comes in plain or vanilla, and I think we buy it at Trader Joe's.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Has Stonyfield Farms changed their recipe? I used to love their yougurt. Then around the time that they changed their packaging -- smaller containers, no "real" lids -- (and swore up and down that the content of said container was still the same), I stopped loving it. It tastes sweeter (too sweet) and the consistency is entirely different. Anyone else notice this? Or is it just my, um, (forgive me) palate? :rolleyes:

It'd be really hard to beat homemade yogurt. Here's my recipe:

Ingredients

• 1 quart (4 cups) non-fat milk.
    [ You can also use whole milk. If using whole milk, just use half the amount of powdered milk mentioned below. ]
  • 1 cup "instant" nonfat powdered milk
    [ If using "regular" non-fat powedered milk, use only 1/2 cup.
    This is an Optional ingredient -- simply makes for a thicker yogurt.]
  • 4 tbsp. Yogurt to use as a starter.
    [ Make sure that you use a yogurt with "Live Culture" for the starter. In the US, the container will usually say this. Or, you can also use "Russian Yogurt".]

Procedure

Mix the liquid milk and the dry milk. Bring the mixture to a slow boil in a saucepan over low-medium heat (approximately 40-45 minutes). Cool immediately to 120 degrees Fahrenheit (50 degrees celcius) or until lukewarm to the touch.

Thoroughly but gently mix the 4 tbsp. of yogurt to the warm milk.

Place the milk in a covered container in a oven heated to 120 degrees Fahrenheit for about 4 hours or until yogurt has set.

Once set, the yogurt will keep for 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator.

Note: 120 degrees is too low a temperature for most home ovens to achieve. I normally turn the oven on for about 5 minutes, then shut it off and just leave the pilot lamp on. This is usually sufficient to maintain 120 degrees in the oven.

If you live in a warmer climate, you may be able to just leave it in a warm area of your kitchen. Back in India, this is what folks used to do.

Yield

This procedure will yield about 1 quart (4 cups) of plain yogurt.

Use Yogurt to make ...

... Raita

Chopped up cucumber, pinch of salt, pinch of cumin powder mixed thoroughly with yogurt. This is just one variant. There are literally hundreds of variants.

... Lassi

Beat yogurt in a blender till its liquidy. Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of cumin powder. This will make a salty lassi. Alternatively you can add a tiny bit of salt and some sugar to make a sweet lassi. Top it with some crushed ice.

Reference

http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/dairy/g449.htm

you can get total greek yogurt at Trader Joes

I think I also sawit at Titan Foods in Astoria

Then theres that Greek Yogurt Place near Laguardia airport (they used to have a branch in Soho but I think that closed) they make their own greek style ultra thick yogurt. I think its called the yogurt place - I remember reading about it on chowhound a long time ago and we went there a few times but it is very out of the way and weird to get to even by car.

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

• 3 months later...

I have been on a yogurt kick lately and while I have yet to find Liberty from Montreal or Total Greek yogurt, I have found three favorites that are as good as I've ever had. I used to think I could only find good yogurt in Europe.

My favorites are Brown Cow Whole Milk. Their chocolate is the best chocolate yogurt I've ever had. Old Chatham Sheepherding Co. is rich and delicious in either plain or Vermont Maple. The plain is great adding your own honey, maple or blueberry syrup. Woodstock Water Buffalo is absolutely incredible. It is the richest and creamiest I've ever had. It has a consistency like ricotta. This thread is a place for more information on this yogurt.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

If you're lucky enough to have access to a farm that makes its own goat cheese, see if they make yogurt too. There's a little organic goat dairy near me, and their yogurt is great--organic, no weird additives. I think the goat milk makes a more creamy yogurt than the cow-milk product.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

I have been on a yogurt kick lately and while I have yet to find Liberty from Montreal or Total Greek yogurt, I have found three favorites that are as good as I've ever had. I used to think I could only find good yogurt in Europe.

My favorites are Brown Cow Whole Milk. Their chocolate is the best chocolate yogurt I've ever had. Old Charham Sheepherding Co. is rich and delicious in either plain or Vermont Maple. The plain is great adding your own honey, maple or blueberry syrup. Woodstock Water Buffalo is absolutely incredible. It is the richest and creamiest I've ever had. It has a consistency like ricotta. This thread is a place for more information on this yogurt.

Hey, Sconzo –

Your location should allow you to find Butterworks Farm yogurt. Try their Whole Fat Jersey Milk Yogurt with Maple Syrup. It's mighty fine, but only available in New England, and even then only on a limited basis.

I'm also a fan of Erivan, which I pick up whenever I'm in Manhattan. But frankly, Butterworks beats all.

Hey, Mora,

Have you tried any of those I mentioned? If Butterworks beats them, then I have to try some!

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Hey, Mora,

Have you tried any of those I mentioned? If Butterworks beats them, then I have to try some!

Yep, I've had both Brown Cow (my fallback when I can't get Butterworks) and Old Chatham. Both very good, but you gotta try Butterworks. And Erivan. And, um, did anyone mention Ronnybrook's Coconut Creamline? Holy mother'o'what's-his-face....

Hey, Mora,

Yep, I've had both Brown Cow (my fallback when I can't get Butterworks) and Old Chatham. Both very good, but you gotta try Butterworks. And Erivan. And, um, did anyone mention Ronnybrook's Coconut Creamline? Holy mother'o'what's-his-face....

Ok, I have to try them. Any idea where I can find them?

Twitter - @docsconz

Hey, Mora,

Ok, I have to try them. Any idea where I can find them?

From the Butterworks Farm website:

All of our products are available at co-ops and health food stores in the northeast served by Northeast Co-operatives (800) 334-9939.

Is their a big and/or well-stocked health food store or co-op nearby?

I get Butterworks and Erivan at the Brattleboro Co-op in Brattleboro, VT. Not exactly convenient for you, I'm sure. Ronnybrook products are available around NYC; they used to have their own shop in the Chelsea Market.

Hmmm....I feel like I just sort of failed a put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is test.

Edited by GG Mora (log)

My favorites are Brown Cow Whole Milk. Their chocolate is the best chocolate yogurt I've ever had. Old Chatham Sheepherding Co. is rich and delicious in either plain or Vermont Maple. The plain is great adding your own honey, maple or blueberry syrup.  Woodstock Water Buffalo is absolutely incredible. It is the richest and creamiest I've ever had. It has a consistency like ricotta. This thread is a place for more information on this yogurt.

The Old Chatham Sheephearding Farm is 10 minutes from my house. While not only is the Yogurt top shelf, the Ricotta and Feta both rock the house!

I do miss the restaurant though. :sad: I wonder how Melissa Kelly is faring in Maine at her new place?

By the way here is a great Panna Cotta recipe from Melissa, on Star Chef's.

Pana Cotta

woodburner

Edited by woodburner (log)

I'm not even sure if this is yogurt, but I like eating it: Yoplait, not the supermarket staple, but the French labeled sold in Fairway NYC for one and I'm told in Eli's and the Vinegar Factory. It is not tangy, but is super creamy, thick and in a small terra cotta-like single serving pot. Of course the pots pile up and can be used again.

Love the stuff.

Homemade beats all commercial brands, imho. I get my cultures from New England Cheesemaking Supply Company. Click on Ingredients, then Cultures. I use certified raw milk, skimmed (we use the cream for coffee and sauces :cool: ), and usually make about 3 quarts at a time. My oven will hold a constant 100°F -- very convenient.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

hey, if you guys like yogurt, try making some "tahn" as we call it in Armenian (I think the Arabic name is "Ayran") just blend plain yogurt and water until it reaches the consistency of milk, and at salt to taste (most of the bottled varieties are fairly salty). garnish with mint leaves. I can't stand milk, at all, but i can drink this stuff like it's going out of style (though i'm sure it never was stylish swigging diluted yogurt).

"yes i'm all lit up again"

I just had the Total Greek yochurt and I must concur. it is outstanding. Plain doesn't need any embellishment, however, I added some Chai syrup to it for the hell of it.

Twitter - @docsconz

Hi, this is my second post (my first was just a minute ago in the one word favorite food thread...I love those cherries by the bucketful)

But back to the topic at hand.

My mother makes the BEST yogurt EVER. She learned to make it from her mother as a girl in her village in Cyprus growing up and I must say that anything but really thick and really sour (and I mean sour) Greek yogurt usually doesn't satisfy me. I try to visit her as often as possible so I can bring big gigantic tupperwares full of it back with me...yes I know I should just make it myself. But the best way to eat it (we traditionally eat this for saturday lunch) is to make a pot of bulgur wheat. Saute up some onion and crushed fideo noodles until brown, pour in the bulgur, pour in the water, some salt, cook it up, pile it hot and steaming onto your plate and top with gobs of the yogurt, mix, and eat. Sooooooo good. Then after you eat the bulgur, eat some more big dollops of the yogurt with greek bread, yum.

As for store bought brands, I really like full fat Mountain High or Clover for plain and Berkeley Farms or Clover for fruit yogurt.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to report that I am currently eating a bowl of Total yogurt with crumbled walnuts and a giant dollop of Mackays spiced ginger preserves, and it is about the best thing ever. That is all.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

For those of you looking for Liberte in NYC, Whole Foods @ Time Warner is carrying it.

I usually eat Stoneyfield non-fat yogurt, so the full fat Liberte is super rich and kind of cheesey - it's got heavy cream in it.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Haven't gone back and read all this thread again, but I have a question for the Stonyfield partisans: I bought some fat-free plain recently, and was dismayed to find that it has GUNK (pectin) in it. And a rather gluey feel, especially when you pour off the whey that collects (as it does on all yogurts I've had). Surprisingly enough, HWOE didn't seem to mind. And at least it wasn't as chalky as other fat-free brands. Still . . .

How do you guys get around the glueyness? Or is it not a big deal to you?