• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yogurt

birder53

Has Stonyfield Farms changed their recipe? I used to love their yougurt. Then around the time that they changed their packaging -- smaller containers, no "real" lids -- (and swore up and down that the content of said container was still the same), I stopped loving it. It tastes sweeter (too sweet) and the consistency is entirely different. Anyone else notice this? Or is it just my, um, (forgive me) palate? :rolleyes:

I'm with you, Suzanne F. I stopped buying Stonyfield Farms a while ago because it changed so much.

Haven't gone back and read all this thread again, but I have a question for the Stonyfield partisans: I bought some fat-free plain recently, and was dismayed to find that it has GUNK (pectin) in it. And a rather gluey feel, especially when you pour off the whey that collects (as it does on all yogurts I've had). Surprisingly enough, HWOE didn't seem to mind. And at least it wasn't as chalky as other fat-free brands. Still . . .

How do you guys get around the glueyness? Or is it not a big deal to you?

First Dannon added pectin and then Stonyfield. Yuk! :wacko: Years ago I liked Colombo, but they also gummed up the works with pectin. Wegmans brand lists pectin as an ingredient, but it isn't gummy at all. Total Greek is wonderful but I like all the great flavors that Wegmans makes. It's a shame that there is so much bad, gummy yogurt out there. There must be a market for it, so many brands have added lots of pectin over the years. Go figure!

KathyM

Based on all the recs here, I picked up some Total at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago, and am now completely addicted. I got the 2% and full fat varieties and they are F***** fantastic. I will NEVER go back to Dannon, Stonyfield, and the like.

tastes great with granola, I stirred it into some roasted red pepper and tomato soup....served it with chestnut honey and cardamom roasted walnuts.....

YES!

I had some Old Chatham Plain Sheepsmilk yoghurt over a baked potato the other night in place of butter or sour cream. It was an outstanding match.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I am going to have to try Total. I usually purchase my yogurt from a Middle Eastern shop I frequent. I am not sure of the name, it isn't english. If I remember correctly it is a Greek yogurt (plain) and it is super thick with a beautiful tangy element. I love to eat it with mango pickle and boiled basmati rice.

When I initially started eating yogurt, I would select Danon. Now, I can barely tolerate the (lack of) flavor and the its soupy consistency.

I also enjoy straining the yogurt to make the thick yogurt cheese.

I've had the idea of making home made yogurt for quite some time, just haven't gotten around to doing it. Laziness I suppose.

--Jenn

The Total is amazing: it's a Greek yogurt. The 2% was the consistency of sour cream, it was so thick. I haven't had the fat free yet, but I assume it is runnier? I ate it without anything else. A little honey is all it needs, but the flavor of the yogurt itself is excellent.

Even the fat-free Total is thick, thick, thick. The only difference is that it tastes leaner -- I don't know how else to put it. But all three levels of butterfattiness are thick and delicious.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Strauss Family Creamery Yogurt. It's made from organic cow milk and tastes wonderful. They don't make flavored yogurt, only non fat and whole milk plain ones, which is just fine with me since I prefer to add preserves or honey to flavor the yogurt myself anyway. That way, I have almost limitless possibilities when it comes to flavors, and I am able to control the level of sugar to my own taste.

I remember eating Total yogurt while in Greece, and was happy to see that they are now available in the US. However, with the prevalent use of growth hormones and such scary things in dairy products here, I am very reluctant to ever touch non-organic stuff. Total is hence out of the question.

I sometimes drain my Strauss yogurt a little bit, to get the very thick texture that I like, which is just shy of yogurt cheese, really. Yogurts in America, in general, are runnier than those one gets in Europe.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Nothing beats homemade yogurt for taste, shelf life, and use for anything. It is also very cheap to make. No need for any fancy gadgets or special equipment. If you also freeze a few Tbsps of the new yogurt you make you can have starter for the next batch...no need to buy any starter. Here is my class for Lebanese cuisine in which I have the recipe and pics to make yogurt as well as Labne (Labni/Labneh):

Lebanese Cuisine

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

However, with the prevalent use of growth hormones and such scary things in dairy products here, I am very reluctant to ever touch non-organic stuff. Total is hence out of the question.

I hadn't thought about that angle -- I tend to assume that EU products are produced under much more stringent circumstances as far as that kind of thing goes. But are they? A little Internet research tells me that rbGH is indeed banned in Europe. I don't know about standard practices regarding, say, the regular treatment of dairy cows with antibiotics, though. On the other hand, you might find that going on at even an organic dairy. (Mightn't you? More knowledgable people, chime in!)

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I used to make my own--using basically FoodMan/Elie's strategy. You definitely don't need one of those silly 70s-style plug-in appliances. I was in Cairo and could get unhomogenized milk, so I ended up with that nice cream-on-top Brown Cow style. One thing I did find is that if I kept using the last batch as starter, I ended up with a very funky, nasty yogurt after about three reuses. So I'd buy a small container of commercial stuff and start fresh.

Haven't made it here in the US because I can't get this kind of milk as readily, and I think it actually costs more to make your own using good, organic milk than to buy Stonyfield or whatever. If I want this commercial yogurt to be more sour, I just leave it out on the counter overnight. If I want it to be thick, I stir in the cream and strain it--or, really, I just go buy Greek yogurt from the deli because I'm lucky enough to live in super Greekland, Astoria.

Zora O’Neill aka "Zora"

Roving Gastronome

As for store bought brands, I really like full fat Mountain High or Clover for plain and Berkeley Farms or Clover for fruit yogurt.

About 10 years ago, I spent a month or so in residence near Temecula in CA and STILL remember the great Mountain High yogurt available there. Every morning I would put a big dollop of it on top of some granola, then lots of wonderfully ripe strawberries on it and have the best breakfast in the world. It was as good as ice cream (gasp, did I actually say that?). Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it in the Philadelphia area.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I just go buy Greek yogurt from the deli because I'm lucky enough to live in super Greekland, Astoria.

As a native of Astoria, I can appreciate how lucky you feel.

BTW, if you ever see a one kilo container of yogurt on the shelf labeled Family - buy it quick - it is Total - made by the same company - only slightly higher fat content and not intended for retail sale - that's what restaurants use when they want Total. :wink:

Total Greek-I was so suprised at how creamy it was. Pavel's was my favorite prior, but I could only purchase the large size. Trader Joe's (Norhtern California) carries no fat, 2%, and full on. It is wonderful with their frozen blueberries and "just the nuggets" maple, pecan, granola crunch.

Thank you for suggestion for the Roasted Tomato Soup. I am interested in more recipes for cooking with yogurt.

Sandy favors Old Chatham, which is made from sheep's milk. She considers it the richest and creamiest she's ever tasted.

Found this today at Whole Foods. Unbelievable.

• 3 weeks later...

I just went to a new (for me) Indian grocer and I found this yogurt called "Caravan". It was love at first spoonful. Its Halal, so no gelatin. Its thick like sour cream. Thick thick thick. Deliciously tart and creamy.

I'm so disgustingly in love. It even has the history of yogurt on the back, and what yogurt is in like 7 languages. I don't think I'll be switching brands any time soon. And its not THAT fattening either, only 220 cal per cup.

• 8 months later...

I think I'm in love!

I have long been a fan of the Liberte Mediterranee yogurt (it's 8% milkfat, so what's not to love? :laugh:) Anyway, today I tried a new flavor for lunch -- Plum & Walnut. This has got to be the best the yogurt I've ever eaten!! It's creamy. And has a great flavor. Plus there are little bits of walnut in it. My only complain is that the 6 ounces went too quickly.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 3 weeks later...

as a cypriot who grew up on youghurt i have to say that Total is good as many have posted and now that I live in the UK that is the one I buy. Recently, however, I've also discovered Rachel's organic greek yogurt which is almost as good as Total (waitrose).

however, I hate to burst the bubble but Total is really just a chemical concoction. there is nothing to replace naturaly strained yogurt as I find in cyprus - we have dozens of brands and it is typically local yogurt made on farms - just a touch of sournens and perfectly strained - I carry two kilos back every time :-)

and for a real yogurt lover like my grandmother the best yogurt (or "'oxino' = sour" as she calls it) is the one that has been in the fridge for a couple of weeks, has developed a nice healthy bioculture and is had with sugar or honey!

I used to like Continental when I was in college, with the fruit on the bottom, but I haven't seen it in recent years. My husband takes yogurt in his lunch every day (yes, every day), and will eat almost anything. Prefers non-fat. I got on a big yogurt kick last summer, when I could get great fruit, with TJ's organic plain low-fat yogurt, granola, and fruit. Great, great breakfast. I tried Total over Thanksgiving and didn't think it was the transcendental experience that so many of you do.

I also tried Mamie Nova for the first time a few months ago. Man, oh, man, was that good! The pear was just heavenly.

I keep meaning to try the Straus Family Creamery yogurt - maybe when I'm back on the granola/fruit thing again.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I think I'm in love!

I have long been a fan of the Liberte Mediterranee yogurt (it's 8% milkfat, so what's not to love? :laugh:)  Anyway, today I tried a new flavor for lunch -- Plum & Walnut.  This has got to be the best the yogurt I've ever eaten!!  It's creamy.  And has a great flavor.  Plus there are little bits of walnut in it.  My only complain is that the 6 ounces went too quickly.

Liberte has a bunch of great flavours. Strawberry is my favorite, followed closely by lemon. The lemon is tart and lemony without tasting like sour milk. I tried the Hazelnut a while ago, it was good but weird. I just couldn't wrap my head around the taste of hazelnuts but with the texture of yogurt.

I like Stonyfield Farms, plain, full fat. I've never seen Total and am pretty sure it's not locally available. Actually, I've never heard of several of the brands y'all love. I'm deprived!

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Posted Yesterday, 11:45 PM

QUOTE(bloviatrix @ Dec 24 2004, 12:42 PM)

I think I'm in love!

I have long been a fan of the Liberte Mediterranee yogurt (it's 8% milkfat, so what's not to love? )  Anyway, today I tried a new flavor for lunch -- Plum & Walnut.  This has got to be the best the yogurt I've ever eaten!!  It's creamy.  And has a great flavor.  Plus there are little bits of walnut in it.  My only complain is that the 6 ounces went too quickly.

Liberte has a bunch of great flavours. Strawberry is my favorite, followed closely by lemon. The lemon is tart and lemony without tasting like sour milk. I tried the Hazelnut a while ago, it was good but weird. I just couldn't wrap my head around the taste of hazelnuts but with the texture of yogurt.

I too love Liberte yogurt. :wub: I've never found anything even close to the creaminess and flavour of this. My favourite from the Mediterranee line is Mango and Orange, with Walnut and Plum coming in a close second. Have heard that the Liberte dessert line has something combining banana and chocolate, but I have yet to find it in Vancouver.

Posted Yesterday, 11:45 PM

QUOTE(bloviatrix @ Dec 24 2004, 12:42 PM)

I think I'm in love!

I have long been a fan of the Liberte Mediterranee yogurt (it's 8% milkfat, so what's not to love? )  Anyway, today I tried a new flavor for lunch -- Plum & Walnut.  This has got to be the best the yogurt I've ever eaten!!  It's creamy.  And has a great flavor.  Plus there are little bits of walnut in it.  My only complain is that the 6 ounces went too quickly.

I too love Liberte yogurt. :wub: I've never found anything even close to the creaminess and flavour of this. My favourite from the Mediterranee line is Mango and Orange, with Walnut and Plum coming in a close second. Have heard that the Liberte dessert line has something combining banana and chocolate, but I have yet to find it in Vancouver.

Lemon? Hazelnut? Banana Chocolate? I've never seen any of those in NY either. :sad:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs