• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corn Starch sauce turns watery/ savable for reheating?

Paul Bacino

Wife away, so I went out to eat Asian.  BTW  not that easy to dine in now

Nothing special/  lets say it was a pepper beef/ spicy eggplant , what ever.

Ate it with a nice velveting sauce at restaurant/home.  But this always happens to me.

Go to eat it the next day and the sauce is water or watery.   Basically

Remedies?   

Its good to have Morels

You could reheat it stovetop, and then add a touch more slurry. Or, as I often do, just drain off most of the sauce before reheating.

So many of these Chinese/American places overuse the cornstarch.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

It is a strange thing to re-heat and really who wants a gloppy starchy sauce, My personal preference is arrowroot. But that is not your point.  Cornstarch is a fickle ingredient via heat.

• Like 1

Use modified cornstarch. I use a product called E-Z Gel. You can buy a 1lb package for $10 on amazon. It will last you a long time if you only use it for sauces you intend to refrigerate and reheat. It works great for making dipping sauces as well, and gravies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FeChef said:

Use modified cornstarch. I use a product called E-Z Gel. You can buy a 1lb package for $10 on amazon. It will last you a long time if you only use it for sauces you intend to refrigerate and reheat. It works great for making dipping sauces as well, and gravies.

the problem is with leftover (mostly) Chinese restaurant food, not with food being made at home.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 8/26/2020 at 2:52 PM, weinoo said:

the problem is with leftover (mostly) Chinese restaurant food, not with food being made at home.

My solution still applies because E-Z Gel will thicken even cold liquids. I use it all the time with leftover chinese food.

Edited by FeChef (log)