• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rouladen

AlaMoi

rouladen is a German dish - thin sliced beef slathered with mustard, minced onion and . . . (many variations follow) then rolled up, browned, finish cooked either in the oven or braised cooktop or oven.

there's the "pound the meat thin" crowd and the "never pound the meat" crowd.

altho I'm happy to bash a schnitzel to 2-3 mm, rouladen methinks should not be pounded.

so I bought a roast and rigged to slice it thin - this is just under 3/16" - sliced cross grain

stores/(a) butcher here do not offer rouladen cuts, so when in Sticksville, make like a stick...

this is a top round - the 'classic' choice for rouladen. 

now, even in a good German eatery, it tends to be on the tough side.

anyone found a better cut to use? 

there's a size issue:  for a proper roll up it needs to be 3-4 inches wide and 8+/- inches long

there's a don't fall apart issue:  something like chuck - with many muscle groups - is troublesome

eye round is similarly tough....

IMG_0973.JPG

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm - Top round would tend to be kinda tough - not much fat or collagen in there.

Can you get a chuck eye roast?  Or even a top sirloin might be a little more tender than the top round, but only cooked rare. The rouladen is probably cooked pretty well..

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/1500-understanding-beef-chuck-eye-roast

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

You are right, top round („Oberschale“) is the cut of choice - for two reasons: you can pound it really thin without compromising the integrity of the later roulade and it holds well during the prolonged brause, which is essential to create the required sauce.

As the roulade is smeared with a healthy dose of sharp mustard and stuffed with (only briefly fried) bacon, onions & pickled cucumbers before rolling up, it required some braising time to harmonize the flavors of the filling and leach out enough to contribute to the characteristic flavor of the sauce. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

So, this doesn't get cooked in sauce (like braciole does)?  

there are many many 'versions' on the methods and the stuffings....

it's like the pounding thin thing - one book/site/post says _never_ the next expert says _always_ . . .

not seen "cross rib roast" in our markets - wonder if it's one of those many names thing?

I'll ask the butcher if he can cut one....

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Thanks 1

And if the op doesn't want to pound the top round, there has to be another way.

What if the stuffing were cooked a little more first, so it didn't need as much time to finish?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

55 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

not seen "cross rib roast" in our markets - wonder if it's one of those many names thing?

I'll ask the butcher if he can cut one....

It's the "arm" part of the chuck. "Cross rib" is what we call it here in Canada, but IIRC it's a Brit thing originally. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

i discovered roulades in 

Mimi Sheraton : The German Cookbook

https://www.amazon.com/German-Cookbook-Complete-Mastering-Authentic/dp/0394401387/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2QE4MPXP3SPXY&dchild=1&keywords=mimi+sheraton&qid=1598103526&sprefix=mimi+she%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-1

this was back when the book was new , seemed very authentic to me , and was a very rare book on cooking

( in the USA ) that was not American-is.   Ive pounded any Round thin

then moved to flank steak back when FS was a very cheap cut in the USA  as no one knew how to cook it.

Ive always used a very healthy dose of sharp mustard , German or Dijon , and bacon.   I never saw the need for

a pickle , or carrot.    browned and then cooked 325 covered 1/2 way up w beed stock.  From a can !

rolled over for the second 1/2

of the cooking.  both sides browned even further.    sauce thicker and thats it.   inhaled they were

home mashed russets of course  back then the russets were pealed , a big favor mistake.

it is a great and fine dish !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

oh,,,, it's got names alright.....

Boston Cut                                BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONE IN                     
Bread and Butter Cut                      BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONE IN                     
Cross Rib Roast                           BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONE IN                     
English Cut Roast                         BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONE IN                     
Shoulder Cross Ribs Bone In               BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONE IN                     
Thick Rib Roast                           BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONE IN                     
Thick Rib Roast                           BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONE IN                     
Boneless Boston Cut                       BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONELESS                    
Boneless English Roast                    BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONELESS                    
Boston Cut boneless                       BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONELESS                    
Bread and Butter Cut                      BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONELESS                    
Chuck Cross Rib Boneless                  BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONELESS                    
English                                   BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONELESS                    
English Roll                              BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONELESS                    
English Roll boneless                     BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONELESS                    
Shoulder Cross Rib Boneless               BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONELESS                    
Shoulder English Roast boneless           BEEF CHUCK CROSS RIB                      POT ROAST BONELESS                    
Boneless Chuck Pot Roast                  BEEF CHUCK EYE                            EDGE POT ROAST BNLS                   
Boneless Chuck Pot Roast                  BEEF CHUCK EYE                            EDGE POT ROAST BNLS                   
Boneless Chuck Roast                      BEEF CHUCK EYE                            EDGE POT ROAST BNLS                   
Boneless Chuck Roast                      BEEF CHUCK EYE                            EDGE POT ROAST BNLS                  

• Haha 1

indeed .  ' Prime' is the whole cow , not just the Prime [ Prime Ribs. ]

the lesser Prime cuts are rarely marketed as such.

Id love to see what a ' Prime '  flank steak 

carefully opened up so it was think w no pounding 

then cut into rouladen portions , ready to Roll Up.

Ive seen what was clearly ' prime ' do to better marbling 

in the meat case , but labeled as ' choice '

no need to get into Black Angus  labels etc

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

And if the op doesn't want to pound the top round, there has to be another way.

What if the stuffing were cooked a little more first, so it didn't need as much time to finish?

Yeah ...

German cooking at the end is all about the sauce. You can choose a cut that would be great medium rare and combine it wirh a cooked filling, but it wouldn’t yield the dish „Roulade“ ...

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

Kenny at Shopsin's

Ohhhhhhh I would have loved to have eaten at his place.  Not sure if I'd have been brave enough though lol.

edited to add:  @kayb (I hope you're doing ok, if not, ignore this and know I'm thinking of you and get well soon!) is this what I've always wanted to make that you make except I can't remember exactly how you  do it--I remember there is a pickle involved???

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Shelby said:

Ohhhhhhh I would have loved to have eaten at his place.  Not sure if I'd have been brave enough though lol.

edited to add:  @kayb (I hope you're doing ok, if not, ignore this and know I'm thinking of you and get well soon!) is this what I've always wanted to make that you make except I can't remember exactly how you  do it--I remember there is a pickle involved???

Much better, thanks. Don't know what I had, COVID negative, but the antibiotic kicked it. 

I use round steak, pounded thin, for my Rouladen. Smear with mustard, roll around a kosher dill spear and a brat, wrap in bacon and secure with toothpicks. Braise in beer. Probably not authentic, but damn good. Roasted potatoes or German potato salad, and red cabbage on the side.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Much better, thanks. Don't know what I had, COVID negative, but the antibiotic kicked it. 

I use round steak, pounded thin, for my Rouladen. Smear with mustard, roll around a kosher dill spear and a brat, wrap in bacon and secure with toothpicks. Braise in beer. Probably not authentic, but damn good. Roasted potatoes or German potato salad, and red cabbage on the side.

Authentic is overrated anyway ... but as an „authentic“ German I have to say that your version sounds perfect 🤗

• Like 2