• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

AlaMoi

AlaMoi

rouladen is a German dish - thin sliced beef slathered with mustard, minced onion and . . . (many variations follow) then rolled up, browned, finish cooked either in the oven or braised cooktop or oven.

there's the "pound the meat thin" crowd and the "never pound the meat" crowd.

altho I'm happy to bash a schnitzel to 2-3 mm, rouladen methinks should not be pounded.

so I bought a roast and rigged to slice it thin - this is just under 3/16" - sliced cross grain

stores/(a) butcher here do not offer rouladen cuts, so when in Sticksville, make like a stick...

this is a top round - the 'classic' choice for rouladen. 

now, even in a good German eatery, it tends to be on the tough side.

anyone found a better cut to use? 

there's a size issue:  for a proper roll up it needs to be 3-4 inches wide and 8+/- inches long

there's a don't fall apart issue:  something like chuck - with many muscle groups - is troublesome

eye round is similarly tough....

IMG_0973.JPG

AlaMoi

AlaMoi

rouladen is a German dish - thin sliced beef slathered with mustard, minced onion and . . . (many variations follow) then rolled up, browned, finish cooked either in the oven or braised cooktop or oven.

there's the "pound the meat thin" crowd and the "never pound the meat" crowd.

altho I'm happy to bash a schnitzel to 2-3 mm, rouladen methinks should not be pounded.

so I bought a roast and rigged to slice it thin - this is just under 3/16"

stores/(a) butcher here do not offer rouladen cuts, so when in Sticksville, make like a stick...

this is a top round - the 'classic' choice for rouladen. 

now, even in a good German eatery, it tends to be on the tough side.

anyone found a better cut to use? 

there's a size issue:  for a proper roll up it needs to be 3-4 inches wide and 8+/- inches long

there's a don't fall apart issue:  something like chuck - with many muscle groups - is troublesome

IMG_0973.JPG