• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Alex

Alex

to fix a typo

It's August 10, 2003. I see a reference to eGullet in a long article in the New York Times, "A Laboratory of Taste," which ranges far and wide but focuses on progressive cuisine in Spain. In the second paragraph is a quote from Charlie Trotter -- OK, I know him -- followed by one from Thomas Keller (ditto). I keep reading, and at the end of the next paragraph is:

"Everybody on eGullet wants to know what is happening in Spain,'' says Grant Achatz, the young chef at Trio, a foodie favorite in Evanston, Ill.

(Here's a 2003 eGullet thread about Trio.)

Trotter was the big dog in Chicago at the time, but I knew that Achatz had worked at both Charlie Trotter's and The French Laundry, so I say to myself, "Self, what is this eGullet of which he speaks?" I order it up via the intertubes and commence browsing. After a succession of "Oh, this is interesting!" threads, what should I see but this one, about the first Heartland Gathering, in, of all places, Grand Rapids. (Unfortunately, all of the pictures were lost in a software changeover.)

I sign up that very day, send a PM to MatthewB offering my assistance, and the rest, as they say, is histrionic. Or something like that.

Alex

Alex

fix a typo

It's August 10, 2003. I see a reference to eGullet in a long article in the New York Times, "A Laboratory of Taste," which ranges far and wide but focuses on progressive cuisine in Spain. In the second paragraph is a quote from Charlie Trotter -- OK, I know him -- followed by one from Thomas Keller (ditto). I keep reading, and at the end of the next paragraph is:

"Everybody on eGullet wants to know what is happening in Spain,'' says Grant Achatz, the young chef at Trio, a foodie favorite in Evanston, Ill.

Trotter was the big dog in Chicago at the time, but I knew that Achatz had worked at both Charlie Trotter's and The French Laundry, so I say to myself, "Self, what is this eGullet of which he speaks?" I order it up via the intertubes and commence browsing. After a succession of "Oh, this is interesting!" threads, what should I see but this one, about the very first Heartland Gathering, in, of all places, Grand Rapids. (Unfortunately, all of the pictures were lost in a software changeover.)

I sign up that very day, send a PM to MatthewB offering my assistance, and the rest, as they say, is histrionic. Or something like that.

Alex

Alex

Everybody on eGullet wants to know what is happening in Spain,'' says Grant Achatz, the young chef at Trio, a foodie favorite in Evanston, Ill.

Trotter was the big dog in Chicago at the time, but I knew that Achatz had worked at both Charlie Trotter's and The French Laundry, so I say to myself, "Self, what is this eGullet of which he speaks?" I order it up via the intertubes and commence browsing. After a succession of "Oh, this is interesting!" threads, what should I see but this one, about the very first Heartland Gathering, in, of all places, Grand Rapids. (Unfortunately, all of the pictures were lost in a software changeover.)