• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Least Favorite Summer Veg/Fruit?

weinoo

By the way, I’m making my favorite yellow summer squash tonight; I have to - it came in my CSA box so I can’t just discard it. It’ll be diced and sautéed with corn off the cob, in butter and chives.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

By the way, I’m making my favorite yellow summer squash tonight; I have to - it came in my CSA box so I can’t just discard it. It’ll be diced and sautéed with corn off the cob, in butter and chives.

Well that works - chives, crunchy corn, and butter - squash is back player.

25 minutes ago, heidih said:

Well that works - chives, crunchy corn, and butter - squash is back player.

I should've mentioned - from the freezer - ramp butter!

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

This is likely my first post after a decade of lurking ... I must feel strongly if I've finally been compelled to post.  The raw tomato is my least favorite vegetable by a mile!  I am happy to buy them for my family but PLEASE do not make me eat them.  EWWW

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Katiej said:

This is likely my first post after a decade of lurking ... I must feel strongly if I've finally been compelled to post.  The raw tomato is my least favorite vegetable by a mile!  I am happy to buy them for my family but PLEASE do not make me eat them.  EWWW

I'm glad I could help - the first one is my introductory price of free.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

35 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

When I was 4, my parents convinced me to eat peas by showing me that the can had "English" on the label and said that that meant they were the ones that the Beatlest ate.  I choked them down for a couple of years until I wised up.  

OMG you believed hem! I never ever believed my parents on anything! Gosh says the lawyer. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Yeah.  My MIL promised me this about turnips and beets when I met her.  🤢

At one of my cooking classes I did the now-cliched/then-uncommon salad of roasted beets, spinach and a sharp cheese (goat cheese, IIRC) with a vinaigrette based on pomegranate molasses. One of the ladies in the class tugged my sleeve and whispered theatrically "You can NEVER tell my mom I ate beets and liked them..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

What?!  You never saw the cans of peas & carrots? Fortunately, that was one of the few "vegetables" that my mother served us out of a can. Never spinach and never asparagus. Don't get me wrong - there was rarely anything fresh or even frozen other than iceberg lettuce and cucumber and the early days of shipper tomato salads.

I find that if I cut up a whole summer (musk or honeydew) melon, taking off rind and removing seeds when it's just ripe or even slightly before, and keeping that well sealed in the fridge - it's easily good for a few days before fermenting.

Correction.   Yes, I saw the cans of peas and carrots but we never used them.    I used to love canned spinach; it's a totally different animal from fresh but had some kind of allure.   And, no, canned asparagus was a luxury beyond us, for better or worse.    Of course, I grew up in iceberg lettuce country, so it was a staple, but then leaf lettuce was unknown to us.    

And totally agree about approaching melons.    I always pare and cut up melons because family is spoiled.    Longevity is an added benefit.

eGullet member #80.

11 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Persimmons! Yuck!

So when you visit it will be a persimmon and corn salad . Not the mushy ones - I  like the crunchy ones that hint of spice Forgot the dressing - tiny touch of grassy olive oil and nuoc mam,

Edited by heidih (log)

1 hour ago, heidih said:

So when you visit it will be a persimmon and corn salad . Not the mushy ones - I  like the crunchy ones that hint of spice Forgot the dressing - tiny touch of grassy olive oil and nuoc mam,

Guests have begged for our Fuyu dressing = evoo, Meyer lemon juice, honey or brown sugar, cumin, s and p.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Peas and Lima beans make me gag.

Green beans are pointless but not offensive.

Carrots and parsnips are ok.

Eggplant can be hidden under a fried crust with sauce and cheese and still sucks.

Zucchini and other summer squash...inoffensive but pointless.

Lettuces, corn,cucumbers, greens, beets, arugula, asparagus, tomatoes, turnips, all alliums, peppers, all crucifers, potatoes in any form, yams are all fine by me if used properly.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

Eggplant can be hidden under a fried crust with sauce and cheese and still sucks.

Lettuces, arugula, asparagus, tomatoes, all alliums, peppers, all crucifers, potatoes in any form, yams are all fine by me if used properly.

You're a tough customer.

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

Some fruits and vegetables I like more than others.  That said I can't think of any summer vegetables I dislike, beyond cauliflower, and kale, of course.  To which I would add carrot tops.  Not that I regard carrot tops as fit to be a foodstuff.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

32 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Lettuces, corn,cucumbers, greens, beets, arugula, asparagus, tomatoes, turnips, all alliums, peppers, all crucifers, potatoes in any form, yams are all fine by me if used properly.

I guess not coming to my party. Green beans on the the grill can be a game changer. 

• Delicious 1

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Some fruits and vegetables I like more than others.  That said I can't think of any summer vegetables I dislike, beyond cauliflower, and kale, of course.  

No caldo verde?

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

I guess not coming to my party. Green beans on the the grill can be a game changer. 

They'd be ok as long as there was meat. I'm not averse to them, just unimpressed by haricots vert- ness in general 

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

They'd be ok as long as there was meat. I'm not averse to them, just unimpressed by haricots vert- ness in general 

Will pork butt on the Weber do for y'all?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou