• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco Flour? (Ardent Mills)

pastameshugana

Just curious if anyone has had any experience good or bad with the bulk AP flour you can get at Costco, link here.

Just doing enough baking that buying little bags isn’t going to cut it any longer, and this is easily accessible.

Primarily baking various breads at this point, working through recipes and practicing. 

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Ardent makes my favorite flour for pizza and bread, Spring King. For pizza, Full Strength (General Mills) comes close, but, otherwise, nothing can touch it.  This being said...

https://www.ardentmills.com/products/traditional-flours/hotel-and-restaurant-hr-all-purpose/

"Flour Protein: 9.0-13.0%"

While it's fairly normal for flours to vary a bit in specs from bag to bag, ranging from 9% to 13% protein is absolutely insane. If you're incredibly motivated, you could, in theory, test each bag and get a ballpark of how strong it is, but it'll just be a ballpark and will involve a lot of trial and error to dial in.

Are you near a Restaurant Depot?  Or another type of distributor cash-and-carry?  Restaurant Depot is selling to the public now (previously it was to the trade only) so it might be another option for you - the one near me is always stocked with multiple types of flour in sizes ranging from 2-25# bags, to 50# bags.  You can also buy cambros/lexans to store it in if you don't already have storage.

• Like 1