• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Cooking Demystified on YouTube

gfron1

YouTube Channel

Does anyone else watch these guys? I've really enjoyed their channel and have been teaching myself Sze chuan cooking using them and Fuscia Dunlap's book. Their written recipes need a hard edit but the videos are great. And contrary to their recent plat list, they have all the classics in addition to the more esoteric. I also like how they'll often create mimics of their favorite restaurants' specialties.

444226929_ScreenShot2020-08-17at7_36_49AM.png.3d78d15a87721639bad3d70b0cbac128.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 1:35 AM, liuzhou said:

Don't get me started!

I do still want to know what you meant by this. Do you not think their recipes and techniques are good? Authentic? Personalities? I'd like to know because if I'm using them as a source for my learning I want to know what critical lens I should be applying since I don't know any better.

• Like 2

I checked out a few of their videos and and watched in full; 'How to stir fry any veg - 3 basics' and 'Cantonese fried eggs'.  Nicely produced, very easy to follow.  I like them.   From the About Us, the woman, from Shunde, China, executes the recipes while the American b-friend narrates and sometimes cooks.  Safe to say it's pretty traditional/authentic.  Of course some may have other opinions.

That wasn't chicken

13 hours ago, gfron1 said:

I do still want to know what you meant by this. Do you not think their recipes and techniques are good? Authentic? Personalities? I'd like to know because if I'm using them as a source for my learning I want to know what critical lens I should be applying since I don't know any better.

My flippant comment was more in jest than anything else, but yes, you do deserve a more sensible answer.

It seems to me that the Cantonese recipes are authentic, but not so much the others. The Sichuan dishes are all over the place and very American-Chinese slanted The video recipe for laziji is a travesty. Compare it to Fuchsia Dunlop's much more authentic version, for example.

Overall, the channel is better than most, but I really can't recommend any YouTube videos as being a good way to learn. Books such as those by Ms. Dunlop are much better and there is at least some quality control by the publishers. YouTube has none whatsoever - every idiot with a camera and an ego can post any old crap and many do!

If you are interested in more regional Chinese dishes, then Carolyn Phillips' All Under Heaven (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is a good introduction.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I watched the ' Chinese Ingredient "  UT

its quite decent for someone starting out in the West

I stopped when the narrator pointed out various 

https://www.google.com/search?q=shichou+chinese+wine&tbm=isch&chips=q:shichou+chinese+wine,online_chips:shaohsing&client=safari&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjI5Y215YnuAhVpieAKHXr0D8wQ4lYoBXoECAEQHw&biw=1350&bih=1321

he should have pointed out in the west ' cooking wine ' in supermarkets has a close to lethal

amount of salt , for ' tax purposes '

as he was in chinatown , he would have pointed out to go into a Chinese Liquor store and ask

for their best version.

Im not being picky here 

its a fundamental error on UTs part 

especially being in Chinatown

that not to condemn the rest.  their is decent stuff here

for the Westerner.

not much for Fuchsia.

• Like 1