• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You Know You're An Older Cook When....

fondue

On 8/28/2020 at 7:25 AM, heidih said:

....  Or who do not know what a s'more is in reality as opposed to a coffee house or cereal flavor.

Couldn't resist sharing from today's Breaking Cat News comic:

Field Reporter Tommy: This just in:  The People are making s'mores!

A puzzled news anchor Puck:  Tommy, what are s'mores?

Tommy: It's a marshmallow sandwich that combines two things children LOVE:  "FIRE" and "BEING STICKY"!

• Haha 4

On 8/29/2020 at 5:51 PM, heidih said:

When you had to use a match to start the gas burner. Comes in handy now with rolling blackouts when electric igniter is a no go. 

We still use a match to light the stovetop; burners in the country.    Thankfully, the ovens light off a pilot.   But would someone PLEASE develop a real "strikes-anywhere" match"?    I am so old that I remember when matches really did light when you dragged them across a rough surface.    Diamond brand hasn't made a decent match in decades!   

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

We still use a match to light the stovetop; burners in the country.    Thankfully, the ovens light off a pilot.   But would someone PLEASE develop a real "strikes-anywhere" match"?    I am so old that I remember when matches really did light when you dragged them across a rough surface.    Diamond brand hasn't made a decent match in decades!   

I use these...

image.thumb.png.d971e903036c9cd071c9597a8d10f038.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I can to this day recall my grandfather holding a match in his fingers and flicking it with his thumbnail to light it. I was fascinated. Not a trick I ever mastered.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I use one of these for the occasional need of a light for candles .

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 12:28 PM, heidih said:

In am dealing with dad 1922.  Still telling me what to do.... And till scoping out the ladies despite married....

Lol. I've got a 90yo widowed grandfather, and when any home nurses come around we all secretly cringe/pray/hope he behaves.

• Haha 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

50 minutes ago, kayb said:

I can to this day recall my grandfather holding a match in his fingers and flicking it with his thumbnail to light it. I was fascinated. Not a trick I ever mastered.

Oh yeah,.   A popular macho trick.  

Anyone remember tucking the flap of a matchbook inside, bending a match out and flicking it lit?     Until they started warnings about serious burns from setting the entire book on fire.   Actually, anyone here REMEMBER book matches?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

34 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Oh yeah,.   A popular macho trick.  

Anyone remember tucking the flap of a matchbook inside, bending a match out and flicking it lit?     Until they started warnings about serious burns from setting the entire book on fire.   Actually, anyone here REMEMBER book matches?

Oh, Lord, yes. All the bars and restaurants used to have them. I had a big brandy snifter filled with ones I'd picked up here and there. 

And of course, if you were going to give your number to someone (pre texting them your contact info), the inside of a matchbook made a great place to write it.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

2 hours ago, kayb said:

I can actually do this.  I can also tie a cherry stem into a knot with my tongue.  <Buffing my fingernails on my vest> 😁

• Haha 6

58 minutes ago, kayb said:

Oh, Lord, yes. All the bars and restaurants used to have them. I had a big brandy snifter filled with ones I'd picked up here and there. 

And of course, if you were going to give your number to someone (pre texting them your contact info), the inside of a matchbook made a great place to write it.

Same here = dislayed on the coffee tabeel in an XXXL snifter shape. 

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Same here = dislayed on the coffee tabeel in an XXXL snifter shape. 

Ditto on the XXXL snifter holding matchbooks.

17 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

But would someone PLEASE develop a real "strikes-anywhere" match"?   

If you're looking for a match that always lights, stores like REI (for outdoorsy people) sell storm-proof matches (click) that always light.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

...when, twice in one week, you distinctly remember writing a response post and even referencing other people's posts and when you go back to follow up you discover that you never did any such a thing.  For someone with dementia in their family, this is a bit worrisome.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I can actually do this.  I can also tie a cherry stem into a knot with my tongue.  <Buffing my fingernails on my vest> 😁

Girl, you got skills!

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Girl, you got skills!

Well, there has been a push to get more women into STEM... :P

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning