• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You Know You're An Older Cook When....

fondue

3 minutes ago, kayb said:

When you sit down midway through prep because your arthritic hip hurts. 

This is part of what I complain about...even after surgery on my lower back.

• Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Get a plan!    You parse your prep so that you accomplish one step, sit for literally a minute, proceed to step two, again, walk around and/or sit a second....   It's more the time spent in one position than total time off feet.    Also, pour a glass periodically....

I've had three hip replacements, a spinal compression that a doctor I fired long ago said would cause me excruciating pain is still kept at moderate bay, a knee that would like to compromise me.   

I don't have time or patience to address symptoms that I can work around.   

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

On 8/14/2020 at 4:56 PM, Tri2Cook said:

The only thing that baffles me is why it can't be where it was when I was there last week. Rearranging things has never once caused me to buy more. If anything, sometimes I get aggravated because I'm in a hurry and it's not where it should be so I saw screw it and leave without it.

Or splitting the bread on either end of the store. Grrrr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Get a plan!    You parse your prep so that you accomplish one step, sit for literally a minute, proceed to step two, again, walk around and/or sit a second....   It's more the time spent in one position than total time off feet.    Also, pour a glass periodically....

I've had three hip replacements, a spinal ----compression that a doctor I fired long ago said would cause me excruciating pain is still kept at moderate bay, a knee that would like to compromise me.   

Oh my but I'll raise ya live in LA and can not drive!  But things happen that make me smile and I am so over pretending I can climb the US Bank Tower anymore - I just say can ya help me I am disabled if I really need to. A virtual climb I can do http://events.ymcala.org/site/TR?fr_id=1831&pg=entry#:~:text=CLIMB THE US BANK TOWER,down to the street level. PS -typo of stair is driving me nuts! Small problems :)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bernie said:

What was the question?

😀

Reads cookbook, " A quarter teaspoon black pepper."  Gets out quarter teaspoon.  What was that ingredient again?  Reads, "Black pepper".  Takes mill to cutting board, grinds, wonders, "How much was needed?" Oh, a quarter teaspoon.  Etc....

And this was why I gave up drinking: It interfered with good, orderly cookery!

• Haha 7

12 minutes ago, fondue said:

Reads cookbook, " A quarter teaspoon black pepper."  Gets out quarter teaspoon.  What was that ingredient again?  Reads, "Black pepper".  Takes mill to cutting board, grinds, wonders, "How much was needed?" Oh, a quarter teaspoon.  Etc....

But good times and food were had probably. Orderly is not in a girl from the 60s and 70s like me. It all worked out. Remembering what I did - well maybe an issue.. 

18 hours ago, heidih said:

Oddly my issue is neuropathy so I am cool with standing for hours. Hip replacement is no big deal these days. I have happy friends from as early as 55.

I have neuropathy in my hands and feet (mostly in the feet) from chemotherapy treatments.  It is bad and affects my stability.  I try everything that comes along in the way of supplements but, so far, it remains.  My oncologist told me it usually goes away within six months or so but not in my case.

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, lindag said:

I have neuropathy in my hands and feet (mostly in the feet) from chemotherapy treatments.  It is bad and affects my stability.  I try everything that comes along in the way of supplements but, so far, it remains.  My oncologist told me it usually goes away within six months or so but not in my case.

Oh I am unstable but in the kitchen there is always a counter or appliance to grab if I sense tipping. One adjusts. No kitchen falls so far.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I've had three hip replacements, a spinal compression that a doctor I fired long ago said would cause me excruciating pain is still kept at moderate bay, a knee that would like to compromise me.   

I am still (mostly) ignoring the potential for a knee replacement my orthopedist said I needed three years ago. I'm OK until I have to go down stairs. Up is OK. Down can be accomplished only by bad knee first, then the good one, one at a time.

Best thing I did was get some shoes with cushy soles, which forgive a lot of the stress imparted by my ceramic-tile-over-slab floor, which I love but which is a bitch to stand on for a long period.

Bothers me more when I'm prepping stuff to can or freeze. I'm pretty good on meal prep, which involves more movement, unless I have to peel potatoes for a big crowd.

11 hours ago, fondue said:

Screw good, orderly cookery. Pour me a glass of wine.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, lindag said:

I am currently experiencing the same issue.  More my feet than hands.  I am just over two months from the last chemo treatment.  I have not found anything that makes it feel better except when my DH rubs my feet with his nice warm hands but, of course, there are time limits on that, unfortunately. So I just try to work quickly and when they reach their limit, I take a long break.  Drinking excessively also helps the feet but not so much the cooking.🤪

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

... when so grievous has become your gout that you need assistance from the stable boy to operate the duck press.

and the stable boy is familiar. - interesting rancho

25 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I know I am an older cook because dagnabit I AM an older cook. 

Thanks for the phrase All those years with males in construction I tend to swear so the alternate words that still have impact are appreciated

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 11:52 AM, weinoo said:

I complain the whole time I'm cooking, even though I secretly enjoy cooking.

I seldom complain while cooking, even though I secretly dislike cooking.  

(Particularly those "15 minute recipes" that call for 10 cups of different and differently cut up ingredients.)

• Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

11 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I seldom complain while cooking, even though I secretly dislike cooking.  

(Particularly those "15 minute recipes" that call for 10 cups of different and differently cut up ingredients.)

A new topic to start. I never complain because I love the process as long as the hyper cleaner in the temp household is not judging me, I do clean as I go but not gonna wipe down the stove and counters every 5 minutes. I am trying to stop saying f*** so my mantra is "just leave me alone". 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, heidih said:

A new topic to start. I never complain because I love the process as long as the hyper cleaner in the temp household is not judging me, I do clean as I go but not gonna wipe down the stove and counters every 5 minutes. I am trying to stop saying f*** so my mantra is "just leave me alone". 

Don't ya just love those invitees who insist on hanging out in the kitchen "'cause you make it look so easy!"   "NO!   Go sit down with dh in the living room and I'll join you in 5 minutes.   Stay here and distract me and you'll be lucky to eat tonight!"

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Thanks for the phrase All those years with males in construction I tend to swear so the alternate words that still have impact are appreciated

One of my other alternates is "rats".  Or even "double rats".

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

a) when you have cooked something so many times, the recipe is in your DNA and you don't have to refer to any book or notes or whatever.

b) when you have cooked something so many times, but suddenly you can't remember if it had this or that ingredient in it. Or even what it is you are cooking.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto