• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You Know You're An Older Cook When....

fondue

* When starting dinner means first finding your glasses.

* When you remove all throw rugs in the kitchen, worrying about twisting something.

* When you can eyeball a cup, identify all spices by smell, and remember 100+ recipes.

* When you no longer use a timer for baking, but sense of smell.

* When Julia Child's maxim about wine, "One for the soup, one for the chef" means prepping dinner takes three times longer!

• Like 7

Hmm -

-wear glasses for nearsighted so always on

-no rugs - neuropathy - always an issue

-the eyeballing etc - oh yes - measuring cups, scales - in your dreams

- the smell on done - oh ya

I think so much becomes instinct. It can be an issue when teaching new cooks. You feel like "duh this is obvious!"

Where I most notice it is with seasoning ----hello taste it!  and with dough especially phyllo. Watching the tutorial and doing it slowly does not work.

Thanks for the topic.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

You choose utensils based on comfort in your arthritic hands and buy every new electric gadget out there that will mean you don't have to peel, cut, slice, dice manually. 

That would make sense but I am SO weirdly anti gadget.  I do keep a pair of adjustable pliers in the kitchen. Do NOT look at my chopped items. Heavy handed and "what is uniform? " I did look enviously at the gadget that helps you button and unbutton.  Earrings = things of the past. Oh on food - I tend to listen whereas younger cooks are running around with the thermapen and the timer down to the nano-second. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

You choose utensils based on comfort in your arthritic hands and buy every new electric gadget out there that will mean you don't have to peel, cut, slice, dice manually. 

BTDT!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, fondue said:

* When starting dinner means first finding your glasses.

* When you remove all throw rugs in the kitchen, worrying about twisting something.

* When you can eyeball a cup, identify all spices by smell, and remember 100+ recipes.

* When you no longer use a timer for baking, but sense of smell.

* When Julia Child's maxim about wine, "One for the soup, one for the chef" means prepping dinner takes three times longer!

Can't do #4, because I'm too easily distracted (yay, ADD!). At the moment when I should be diligently sniffing the air, I'll be in another room attending to something I'd meant to do the day before. I'll smell the smoke around the same time the smoke detector does.

#1 is not especially pertinent for mealtimes, because I seldom work from a written recipe, but it's certainly valid when I do.

#2 is not an issue for me, because I won't have rugs or carpeting of any kind in my kitchen. Also don't drink while cooking, because it exacerbates the whole "too easily distracted" thing.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

This.  I'm ready to start researching electric/battery can openers and pepper grinders.  What's really bothering me is how hard it is to use my knives and to grate cheese.  I bought one of those chopper things, but hate digging it out.  I can foresee lots of changes to get used to.  I can remember being really snotty and arrogant about gadgets (not quite as bad as that twit Alton Brown), but now that I am older and have hand issues, I am much more understanding about many of them.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When shopping you remember when ground beef was $0.39/lb.

You know exactly how long dinner will take to make based upon what you’re serving that night.

You wish your whole kitchen floor was made out of fatigue mats.

You didn’t have many, many close-by fast food franchises to let you bail on cooking with minimal impact.

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

When you go to the grocery store to get the things you need for what you want to cook only to find they've rearranged half the stuff in the store for the third time that week (yes, slight exaggeration) and your inner curmudgeon takes over and you actually ask the store manager if it's really necessary to rearrange the place every week.

For the record, said store manager's reply was  a friendly "well, every two weeks anyway" which was good for a laugh from me. 😁

• Haha 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

...you use two hands to do a pan-flip, just in case.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

4 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

And by the way, @fondue, I suggest that FORGETTING 100 + recipes is a better indication.

Heck, I could do that as a beginner!!  Also, see original post re: wine. 🙄

33 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

When you go to the grocery store to get the things you need for what you want to cook only to find they've rearranged half the stuff in the store for the third time that week (yes, slight exaggeration) and your inner curmudgeon takes over and you actually ask the store manager if it's really necessary to rearrange the place every week.

For the record, said store manager's reply was  a friendly "well, every two weeks anyway" which was good for a laugh from me. 😁

I often do my humanitarian effort helping older (men usually) find things, The canned soup aisle particularly baffles them.b I don't buy the stuff but I can speed read the labels.

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I often do my humanitarian effort helping older (men usually) find things, The canned soup aisle particularly baffles them.b I don't buy the stuff but I can speed read the labels.

The only thing that baffles me is why it can't be where it was when I was there last week. Rearranging things has never once caused me to buy more. If anything, sometimes I get aggravated because I'm in a hurry and it's not where it should be so I saw screw it and leave without it.

• Haha 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

4 minutes ago, fondue said:

...when all your linen tea towels are soft.

I kept the vintage beautifully printed ones away from hardcore work  they are still stiffish cuz I am a horrible laundry person and did not want to lose the images.. The others  I think the dogs played tug of war - gone....

Just now, weinoo said:

I complain the whole time I'm cooking, even though I secretly enjoy cooking.

that is known as curmudgeon - I am so perfect I never complain :)  - really i do not about cooking