• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ainu Cuisine

liuzhou

I may have eaten Ainu food. I'm not sure. Long story. The short version is that back in the 1980s one of my friends who was Irish (and still is) was working in Hokkaido and decided to marry his equally Irish girlfriend there. Somehow they got hold of a genuine Irish priest in Japan to do the deed. They also got hold of all the Guinness in the country.

I flew to Toyko, then took a bullet train to the appropriate venue, then spent three days in Ireland in Japan. The food I ate was Irish; the beer I drank was Irish; everything was Irish. Except for the last night, when I ate my only Japanese meal in Hokkaido. I can't remember a lot (all that Guinness), but it was like no Japanese food I've eaten anywhere else. I've been back to Japan many times, but never made it back to Hokkaido. I planned a trip this year, but we all know what happened to our travel plans this year.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Thanks for sharing, love this stuff, anything to do w Japanese culture a food traditions.  Bourdain did a Hokkaido episode many years ago with an Ainu segment  you might enjoy (min 25)  https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5wyvwjnd .  I'm re-watching it now and sad again that he's gone.  Pretty cool he used to post on eGullet.  Anyway, very interesting the rich history of the Ainu.  

That wasn't chicken

1 hour ago, Eatmywords said:

Bourdain did a Hokkaido episode many years ago with an Ainu segment  you might enjoy (min 25)  https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5wyvwjnd .

Yes. Saw that a while back. Will watch again.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

That takes me back ...

About 20 years ago I was invited to a research conference in Sapporo. I ised the trip to explore Hokkaido a bit, and one night me and my girlfriend did a home stay with an Ainu family literally in the middle of nowhere, who treated us to a wonderful ishikari-nabe, or salmon hot pot. Some salmon jerky was offered and we had a great evening with our hosts ...

047664D1-3C17-4F85-B5E6-DBA7DDBB3DB4.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

How about the butter and corn in the ramen?  Haven't seen that before.

Miso ramen with butter & corn is classic Sapporo ramen, and hugely popular all over Japan in recent years ...

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

That takes me back ...

About 20 years ago I was invited to a research conference in Sapporo. I ised the trip to explore Hokkaido a bit, and one night me and my girlfriend did a home stay with an Ainu family literally in the middle of nowhere, who treated us to a wonderful ishikari-nabe, or salmon hot pot. Some salmon jerky was offered and we had a great evening with our hosts ...

047664D1-3C17-4F85-B5E6-DBA7DDBB3DB4.jpeg

That's awesome!  I bet an experience you'll never forget!  I'm guessing (instead of googling) the corn and butter are a Russian influence?  I'll google later.  

That wasn't chicken