• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I may have eaten Ainu food. I'm not sure. Long story. The short version is that back in the 1980s one of my friends who was Irish (and still is) was working in Hokkaido and decided to marry his equally Irish girlfriend there. Somehow they got hold of a genuine Irish priest in Japan to do the deed. They also got hold of all the Guinness in the country.

I flew to Toyko, then took a bullet train to the appropriate venue, then spent three days in Ireland in Japan. The food I ate was Irish; the beer I drank was Irish; everything was Irish. Except for the last night, when I ate my only Japanese meal in Hokkaido. I can't remember a lot (all that Guinness), but it was like no Japanese food I've eaten anywhere else. I've been back to Japan many times, but never made it back to Hokkaido. I planned a trip this year, but we all know what happened to our travel plans this year.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I may have eaten Ainu food. I'm not sure. Lomg story. The short version is that back in the 1980s one of my friends who was Irish (and still is) was working in Hokkaido and decided to marry his equally Irish girlfriend there. Somehow they got hold of a genuine Irish priest in Japan to do the deed. They also got hold of all the Guinness in the country.

I flew to Toyko then took a bullet train to the appropriate venue, then spent three days in Ireland in Japan. The food I ate was Irish; the beer I drank was Irish; everything was Irish. Except for the last night, when I ate my only Japanese meal in Hokkaido. I can't remember a lot (all that Guinness), but it was like no Japanese food I've eaten anywhere else. I've been back to Japan many times, but never made it to Hokkaido. I planned a trip this year, but we all know what happened to our travel plans this year.