• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaged gravy mixes. What are your experiences?

Anna N

Speaking of onion flavour - Amazon.ca has "Bisto Chef's Specials Caramelised Onion - 25g"

$4.88 

BUT $15.00 shipping!!!

It's 25g, but makes 350ml

Delivery is Nov 27 - Dec 31  maybe in time for New Years 😁

Not in my cart!

p

Edited by palo (log)
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, palo said:

Speaking of onion flavour - Amazon.ca has "Bisto Chef's Specials Caramelised Onion - 25g"

$4.88 

BUT $15.00 shipping!!!

It's 25g, but makes 350ml

Delivery is Nov 27 - Dec 31  maybe in time for New Years 😁

Not in my cart!

p

Are you sure about the quantity being 25gm?  If you are, that size is no longer listed.

15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Are you sure about the quantity being 25gm?  If you are, that size is no longer listed.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bisto-Chefs-Specials-Caramelised-Onion/dp/B00MWV1DSI/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bisto+onion&qid=1601980936&s=grocery&sr=1-3

Actually its changed

Now $4.61, but shipping has gone up to $23.99!

Good news - delivery now Nov 2 - 24

Still sucks!

p

26 minutes ago, palo said:

https://www.amazon.ca/Bisto-Chefs-Specials-Caramelised-Onion/dp/B00MWV1DSI/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bisto+onion&qid=1601980936&s=grocery&sr=1-3

Actually its changed

Now $4.61, but shipping has gone up to $23.99!

Good news - delivery now Nov 2 - 24

Still sucks!

p

I plan on going to the Scottish and Irish store this week to buy some Bisto as I want to try it.  If they have that size, I can pick it up and mail it to you.  If you would like me to do this, just send me a PM.

• Thanks 1

@ElsieD 

if its ' safe ' for you to do so

any pics of the store would be greatly appreciated.

maybe they have some of those ' Pies '  in the tins ?

I wanted to try one or two  then noticed the shipping charges !

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD 

if its ' safe ' for you to do so

any pics of the store would be greatly appreciated.

maybe they have some of those ' Pies '  in the tins ?

I wanted to try one or two  then noticed the shipping charges !

Sure, I can take some pics but what kind of pies are you talking about?

these :

https://www.amazon.com/Fray-Bentos-Steak-Kidney-425g/dp/B00Z9TTFLM/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3PYZQ1W9I8ZFT&dchild=1&keywords=fray+bentos&qid=1601998655&s=grocery&sprefix=fray%2Cgrocery%2C142&sr=1-8

AnnaN  might have provided a few U-Tube

vids on these ' puffing up '

cheers again

in the Crusty thread

Edited by rotuts (log)

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

these :

https://www.amazon.com/Fray-Bentos-Steak-Kidney-425g/dp/B00Z9TTFLM/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3PYZQ1W9I8ZFT&dchild=1&keywords=fray+bentos&qid=1601998655&s=grocery&sprefix=fray%2Cgrocery%2C142&sr=1-8

AnnaN  might have provided a few U-Tube

vids on these ' puffing up '

cheers again

in the Crusty thread

I'll have a look.

So, last night I SV'd a pork tenderloin and it seemed like the Onion Bisto gravy mix was the way to go.  I copied @Anna N and slow cooked some onions to go into the gravy.  I was a rebel and boiled the water in the pot and then added the Bisto....the instructions say to do it the opposite way around.  Worked great my way.  REALLY good gravy.  Easy.  Not too salty.  We loved it over potatoes and pork.

thumbnail_IMG_8237.jpg.c1e3c7ba703650ba19fd1d7a97bd73b8.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

On 10/7/2020 at 4:58 PM, ElsieD said:

How does Bisto compare to, say, using Best of Boullion and making a gravy from that?

I think you probably mean Better than Bouillon.  If so, I've used both and if you can find low/no sodium Better than Bouillon, it makes a better broth to use in large amounts (like to make soup broth) - to me what Bisto is so good for it to thicken a thin sauce, or make a little gravy and provide a good, beefy (or chickeny) punch.  I wouldn't use Bisto and water to make the entire liquid base for beef stew, say.  Does that answer your question properly?  

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I think you probably mean Better than Bouillon.  If so, I've used both and if you can find low/no sodium Better than Bouillon, it makes a better broth to use in large amounts (like to make soup broth) - to me what Bisto is so good for it to thicken a thin sauce, or make a little gravy and provide a good, beefy (or chickeny) punch.  I wouldn't use Bisto and water to make the entire liquid base for beef stew, say.  Does that answer your question properly?  

Yes, Kim, that answers my question exactly.  Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

""" low/no sodium Better than Bouillon ""

does this exist ?

Yup. I can find it on amazon.ca. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yup. I can find it on amazon.ca. 

Wow.  Is it ever expensive on Amazon.  Mind, I've never seen the reduced sodium in stores, or maybe where I shop doesn't carry it.

31 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Wow.  Is it ever expensive on Amazon.  Mind, I've never seen the reduced sodium in stores, or maybe where I shop doesn't carry it.

I was only trying to answer the question as to its existence. It is not something I am likely to purchase from Amazon but the next time someone is in Denninger ‘s, for example, I will ask them to see if they can spot the low sodium version. I will also ask them if they can get a price. It certainly is not available everywhere even in the regular versions.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog