• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaged gravy mixes. What are your experiences?

Anna N

@Kim Shook  

if your a fan of EotR , try it SV  until tender

or look for a Chuck Eye , which in my area is very hard to find  ( era Before )

set your done-ness by the temp , and let it swim for some time to your tenderness point.

chill a bit , then pan sear.  use the Jus in the  bag 

( it does look unappetizing ) as p-art of your gravy.

cheers

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

you Gave Masters are driving me to

drunk.jpeg.0757ef4d5e79f486dc986095649a3904.jpeg

so I got these , for scientific purposes only :

BAT.thumb.jpg.c331c4ab18a026f7de19ed26cc8764ac.jpg

Im a fan of hydrolyzed onions :

GM.thumb.jpg.ec2fb41a351d599da5e3fd849807b2af.jpg

I use it to darken my home made gravy .

what's next ?

I'll be curious to hear about the salt content.

I don't understand the question. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

7 hours ago, IowaDee said:

But you must realize that, if Kerry is involved, it will be chocolate gravy.  Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Instant success!

Teo

• Haha 3

Teo

On 10/2/2020 at 7:09 AM, IowaDee said:

But you must realize that, if Kerry is involved, it will be chocolate gravy.  Not that there's anything wrong with that!

I had managed to grow up in the South without knowing there was chocolate gravy. It's a big thing in Arkansas. And damn, it's good.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 minutes ago, kayb said:

I had managed to grow up in the South without knowing there was chocolate gravy. It's a big thing in Arkansas. And damn, it's good.

Do tell!  Is it like a mole?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Not at all. It's kind of like a chocolate sauce that wants to be a hot fudge sauce but doesn't quite get there.  Here's a basic recipe: https://southernbite.com/chocolate-gravy

Well,doggone it. I was trying to insert that link, but it didn't insert.

Anyway, it's generally served over biscuits. I can see better uses for chocolate, truthfully, but people down here love it.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Not at all. It's kind of like a chocolate sauce that wants to be a hot fudge sauce but doesn't quite get there.  Here's a basic recipe: https://southernbite.com/chocolate-gravy

Well,doggone it. I was trying to insert that link, but it didn't insert.

Anyway, it's generally served over biscuits. I can see better uses for chocolate, truthfully, but people down here love it.

OK I am going to call foul. I am so disappointed. Chocolate sauce it’s just chocolate sauce. I was hoping for a revelation. Not your fault. I appreciate that you took the time to respond and post a link. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

16 hours ago, kayb said:

Glad I'm not the only one.  I thought it must be from growing up in NOVA (considered "false South" by some  😁), but you are from the Deep South.  

Between Amazon and the Bisto Fairy, I received a surprise package of Three Different Bistos: regular, chicken, and onion ❤️❤️❤️.    I've had a BBC recipe for Sage & Onion Yorkies for some time and think the onion version will be really good with that!

• Like 4

Oooooo!  Oooooooooo!

Bezos insisted :

DSC08814.jpg.d9397ffd07d02574b63be7d9ed932e9a.jpg

for me there are tow issues w Exogenous NaCL :

as this is not IndexMedicus 

fine

but items you buy w salt

will affect your Tongue 's ability to taste

that what Ive found , some time ago

one pays rasanoble attention to the salt in

what is pre made , or from outside sources.

after 2 - 3 months or so

LeTounge , wakes up and might reward you.

cheers

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I've had a BBC recipe for Sage & Onion Yorkies for some time and think the onion version will be really good with that!

If you caramelize an onion or two and add to the onion gravy, you will be in for quite a treat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

If you caramelize an onion or two and add to the onion gravy, you will be in for quite a treat

Is it really that good?  I need to order some Feliway from Amazon and I am tempted to try some.  I dunno about ordering the three different kinds, though.

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Is it really that good?  I need to order some Feliway from Amazon and I am tempted to try some.  I dunno about ordering the three different kinds, though.

For a gravy mix it is good. If you can make your own gravy then you will blow it away. It

simply cannot measure up to homemade gravy. It works for me but I would never try to persuade anyone that it is as good as or better than what can be made from scratch. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

""  If you caramelize an onion or two and add to the onion gravy, you will be in for quite a treat ""

there is it.

I have tried the ' Gravy Granules "

will report later.

no beef , as none was implied ...

it might not bee that different than

GM.thumb.jpg.10ec9d916a88c00eb6f8a30f557d5c24.jpg

wh9ch (ve sed , and have in DeepFrig  to

add colo(u)r to my more made gravy.

• Like 3

I have a question for long-time Bisto users.  My mother swore that she could tell the difference between the granules and the old powdered kind and she much preferred the powdered.  We used to find it in a store in a town an hour or so away that we attended college football games in and we'd buy her a couple of boxes every so often.  I could never tell the difference between the two and like how the granules dissolve so easily - plus they are easy to get.  Do any of you long-time users notice a difference?  Just curious.  

19 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I have a question for long-time Bisto users.  My mother swore that she could tell the difference between the granules and the old powdered kind and she much preferred the powdered.  We used to find it in a store in a town an hour or so away that we attended college football games in and we'd buy her a couple of boxes every so often.  I could never tell the difference between the two and like how the granules dissolve so easily - plus they are easy to get.  Do any of you long-time users notice a difference?  Just curious.  

I'm curious too.  It is also sold in jars - does that make a difference?  I could swear I've had the powdered kind in the little boxes and wasn't exactly nuts about it.  But, today I found that The Scottish and Irish store here sells the various kinds for $4.49 which is a lot cheaper than Amazon.ca.  So, I may go and pick some up to try again.  If I bought only one as a starting point, which should it be?

Edited by ElsieD
store name was incorrect (log)

13 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

If I bought only one as a starting point, which should it be?

I like the onion flavoured best and it can certainly be boosted with a little caramelized onion of your own making. I have not tried the chicken version and I understand from my sister in England that there is a vegetarian version also. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog