• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaged gravy mixes. What are your experiences?

Anna N

As I mentioned over two years ago on the "Ahh, Bisto! The Gravy Mix" topic:

Bisto ain't bad, but the best was Burdall's Gravy Salts, which were sadly discontinued.  I can't remember why.

However, some one got hold of the recipe and sells it as Old Jake's Gravy Saviour. Indistinguishable from the original.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

However, some one got hold of the recipe and sells it as Old Jake's Gravy Saviour. Indistinguishable from the original.

Surely their site ought to earn a Guinness world record for length and complexity of ordering instructions for their gravy salts. 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, teonzo said:

What about buying your favourite gravy from a restaurant, freeze it in ice cube bags, then pick how many cubes you need and nuke them in the microwave?

Teo

Speaking only for myself, the only restaurants that I would order some thing with gravy happen to be diners!  They are known for using gravy mixes just like I do. 😂

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Another solution: call your granddaughter and ask her to prepare a big load of homemade gravy to stock your freezer, casually (very casually) pointing out all the cookies/breads you gave her.

Teo

• Haha 4

Teo

5 minutes ago, teonzo said:

Another solution: call your granddaughter and ask her to prepare a big load of homemade gravy to stock your freezer, casually (very casually) pointing out all the cookies/breads you gave her.

Teo

Lol. I love her dearly but she wouldn’t have a clue where to start. I taught her a lot of things but cooking wasn’t one of them! I never had confidence in myself to think I could teach anyone else. She makes a mean KD though!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

OK so it’s stretching things a bit but @Kerry Bealdiscovered this in her exploration of British stores in the area:

C7F84793-7FAD-40C4-A502-C25EDF109EC7.thumb.jpeg.c59ecc75d0a0bcca8580188dcecba9aa.jpeg

Cheese “gravy”? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

OK so it’s stretching things a bit but @Kerry Bealdiscovered this in her exploration of British stores in the area:

C7F84793-7FAD-40C4-A502-C25EDF109EC7.thumb.jpeg.c59ecc75d0a0bcca8580188dcecba9aa.jpeg

Cheese “gravy”? 

I do't know about the cheese gravy but I love using Bisto.  

• Like 3

so you dont loose too much sleep :

sssss.thumb.jpg.136bdd2fa83dfa9cbc0444beecee7eb5.jpg

Letitica Cropley was the characters name,  

above , at the new vicar's reception she made :

Ham and Lemon curd ( above ) and Penutbutter and Anchovey  sandwiches

it get a lot more epicurean after that .

• Like 3

I've learned a few things from the pandemic, and shopping at Restaurant Depot ......   one day I went down an aisle I'd hadn't been in (I was wandering the store trying to wait until the lines were short).  I stumbled on the aisle with powdered Knorr (and some other brand) mixes!   Hollandaise from a POWDER?!  Alfredo sauce from a powder?  Seriously? Sometimes I am really naive, I had no idea you could cheat like that.  Then I realized this is the savory side's "bucket frosting".    Years ago I sheepishly asked my sale rep if they sold pre-made frosting (I had someone who wanted the Publix kind of frosting and didn't have shortening in house). She just started laughing, I was her only account still doing scratch baking.

• Like 6

A729C12A-ECEC-4555-8244-875EF68E3247.thumb.jpeg.8cd6e9ded29376cd5487627ec2e05468.jpeg

A not a very good photograph but I made up a batch of the Bisto onion gravy and found it quite palatable and very convenient. Heated water in the microwave, added gravy granules and stirred until thickened and smooth.  Just about my speed these days. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

A729C12A-ECEC-4555-8244-875EF68E3247.thumb.jpeg.8cd6e9ded29376cd5487627ec2e05468.jpeg

A not a very good photograph but I made up a batch of the Bisto onion gravy and found it quite palatable and very convenient. Heated water in the microwave, added gravy granules and stirred until thickened and smooth.  Just about my speed these days. 

Beat you.  I bought gravy in a jar.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I really wanted to try Bsto.  w free prime , I dont have to by 25 $  etc

so Ive been indulging  in things ...

from Amazon :

Bistro.thumb.jpg.3a69067b25af0d6c3b3c5878e3358142.jpg

no idea on the salt content , but I noticed this is ' Suitable for vegetarians "

i know about hydrolyzed onions etc , but I decided to hold on a trial  No Cows harmed it seems

there is a Chicken on on Amazon , again , no chickens were in harmed

I did track down NaCL  ;  50 ml as made by directions :  180 mg of NaCl

these are not criticisms , just point of information.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

I really wanted to try Bsto.  w free prime , I dont have to by 25 $  etc

so Ive been indulging  in things ...

from Amazon :

Bistro.thumb.jpg.3a69067b25af0d6c3b3c5878e3358142.jpg

no idea on the salt content , but I noticed this is ' Suitable for vegetarians "

i know about hydrolyzed onions etc , but I decided to hold on a trial  No Cows harmed it seems

there is a Chicken on on Amazon , again , no chickens were in harmed

I did track down NaCL  ;  50 ml as made by directions :  180 mg of NaCl

these are not criticisms , just point of information.

I was raised on Bisto (Beef-flavored) from the age of 9 and recently discovered the chicken version.  My mom used to serve pure Bisto gravy with roasts (beef and chicken), savoury pies, and as a base for stews.  I'm not a fan of nothin' but Bisto.  However, I've discovered that a judicious combination of Bisto, canned gravy (oddly, the canned is better than the jarred, I've found), wine, and herbs can make a damn fine gravy.  I discovered this over 10 years ago when the Eye of Round roast became a THING (I need to do this again, it really was pretty good) and it needed some gravy, but made NO drippings.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1