• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Let's go! Bi-weekly varietal tastings -- Planning Thread

Rebel Rose

When I lived in Sonora Cohousing (Tucson, AZ), I held these monthly wine tastings, based on specific varietals and themed around the seasons.

We started with crisp whites and rose's in the heat of summer, moved on to earthy, elegant reds like pinot in early fall, by Thanksgiving we were on to spicy reds like sangiovese and zinfandel, and enjoying the "royal reds", the Bordeaux, by deep winter.

It was fun and instructive. So ... what do you think? I'm a party girl ... always down for a wine tasting, and I think we could have a rocking virtual-varietal. ;)

Who wants in?

What's the sched?

Weeknight or weekend tastings?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

5 minutes ago, Rebel Rose said:

When I lived in Sonora Cohousing (Tucson, AZ), I held these monthly wine tastings, based on specific varietals and themed around the seasons.

We started with crisp whites and rose's in the heat of summer, moved on to earthy, elegant reds like pinot in early fall, by Thanksgiving we were on to spicy reds like sangiovese and zinfandel, and enjoying the "royal reds", the Bordeaux, by deep winter.

It was fun and instructive. So ... what do you think? I'm a party girl ... always down for a wine tasting, and I think we could have a rocking virtual-varietal. ;)

Who wants in?

What's the sched?

Weeknight or weekend tastings?

Me, me! I learned so much from the eGCI course "Evaluating Wine", but my local wine-tasting group has aged out or moved and now I tend simply to drink blended wines. There are some fine blends out there, mind, but a sharpening of the perceptions would be welcome. I think biweekly would give time for everyone interested to find the wine and participate. I'd favor kicking it off on a weekend, but in truth it doesn't much matter for my work schedule. Thanks for starting this up - and welcome back!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm interested in playing along!  

I missed the spring wine tasting trip to Santa Ynez or Paso that I usually do with friends and it doesn't look like the fall trip will happen either.  

I sometimes follow along with the NYT Wine School articles, but I don't always stay on top of it - like I search out some wines and try them but forget to go back for the follow-up article.  

I check in with eG pretty regularly so that won't happen and I'd love an opportunity to taste with my virtual friends!

Are you thinking Zoom or some other platform, or just time-framed posting here?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I think I'd favor the time-framed posting here, in order to allow more people to participate and possibly to maintain our usual anonymity. However, I'm open to other ideas. @Rebel Rose may have different and better ideas!

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

14 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

This does sound fun - I'm in favor of weeknights, and while I like asynchronous discussion here in a topic, I could do Zoom instead if that's the way it rolls. It's tough to work across a lot of timezones, though.

That makes sense. I'd vote for asynchronous, too.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Right, I'm thinking just the usual old-fashioned time-frame discussion threads, like we used to do! Geez, it sounds so old-hat now, LOL!

And maybe invite relevant winemakers to the thread, whether or not we're actively trying their wines. Maybe a heads up so people who can get the wines can taste them, but if not, we'll still have a rocking varietal tasting. With food pairing suggestions, of course!

What do you think of this rough schedule?

Aug 19  Random summer whites

Sept 1 Dog summer rose's

Sept 15  Grenache and fruity reds

Oct 1 Pinot noir

Oct 15 Zinfandel

Nov 1 Sangiovese

Nov 15 Spicy, food-friendly reds

Dec 1 Royal reds - Bordeaux

Dec 15 Bordeaux #2

Jan 1-ist Wine party notes

Jan 15 Screw wine, let's do mid-winter blues cocktails

Feb 1 Warm your buns wine

Feb 15 Romantic food and wine pairings

Edited by Rebel Rose (log)
  • Like 1

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

True, but as one of those people watching the leaves start to turn already I can appreciate that much of the world (in the northern hemisphere) considers it to be high summer still. I also think that a seasonal theme is fun, even though participants may not be in the same season. All that said, I'd be fine with a different schedule and theme if Rebel Rose proposes it. I'm just keen to try a virtual group wine tasting, led by a knowledgeable teacher!

• Like 1

I'm in. Schedule looks good to me. I've been enjoying whites this summer, so I'm happy to start with that and hear everyone's picks.

I don't know much about wine, but anxious to learn.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 8/14/2020 at 11:25 PM, liuzhou said:

Don't forget we have members all over the world. In some places August is heralding Fall.

I agree that late August is indeed perilously close to Autumn, but I wanted to squeeze in a few lighter varietals while the weather is still warm, before sliding into a steady progression of reds.

And of course for our friends Down Under, the seasons are topsy-turvy.

Since we have enthusiasm for the idea, I'll go ahead and post a thread for the first tasting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

On 8/14/2020 at 8:41 PM, Rebel Rose said:

What do you think of this rough schedule?

Aug 19  Random summer whites

Sept 1 Dog summer rose's

Sept 15  Grenache and fruity reds

Oct 1 Pinot noir

Oct 15 Zinfandel

Nov 1 Sangiovese

Nov 15 Spicy, food-friendly reds

Dec 1 Royal reds - Bordeaux

Dec 15 Bordeaux #2

Jan 1-ist Wine party notes

Jan 15 Screw wine, let's do mid-winter blues cocktails

Feb 1 Warm your buns wine

Feb 15 Romantic food and wine pairings

These all sound like fun. Can I suggest adding a date to taste some bubbly bottles?

Edited by blue_dolphin
because bubbles are not a varietal! (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for picking up the mantle! I've been distracted with family medical emergencies and PNW fires. I could definitely use a chilled rose' right about now!

Edited by Rebel Rose (log)
  • Like 2

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, chefmd said:

Not to be a spoilsport, but that was a terrible article.

1. The findings were correlations, not cause-and-effect. Sometimes the author got it right, more or less ("may help", "related to"), and sometimes wrong ("the most protective food", "was shown to improve").

2. If you study enough correlations, one or more are bound to be statistically significant. (XKCD had something to say about that.) It should have been treated as a preliminary study, then replicated elsewhere, before releasing any findings.

3. "I believe the right food choices can prevent the disease and cognitive decline altogether." Simplify much? Your PhD advisor needs to have a word with you.

That said, I wouldn't mind some more eG wine tastings. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Alex said:

Not to be a spoilsport, but that was a terrible article.

1. The findings were correlations, not cause-and-effect. Sometimes the author got it right, more or less ("may help", "related to"), and sometimes wrong ("the most protective food", "was shown to improve").

2. If you study enough correlations, one or more are bound to be statistically significant. (XKCD had something to say about that.) It should have been treated as a preliminary study, then replicated elsewhere, before releasing any findings.

3. "I believe the right food choices can prevent the disease and cognitive decline altogether." Simplify much? Your PhD advisor needs to have a word with you.

That said, I wouldn't mind some more eG wine tastings. 

You are correct.  I thought it was pleasantly entertaining and probably sponsored by industry.  As in 10 out of 10 cows agree: eat more chicken.

• Like 1