• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cornish Game Hen w/Cheeseburger?

Al_Dente

Good Ol Emeril had some folks on who were showing some favorite tailgating recipes. One grilling aficionado made cheeseburgers (with the bun, mustard, onions and everything) and stuffed them into a cornish game hen before grilling it. Seems whacky, but why not? Stuffing is mostly meat and bread. Would you try it? I might give it a whirl....

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Gah.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Seems whacky, but why not? Stuffing is mostly meat and bread. Would you try it? I might give it a whirl....

Why not?

First, since the flavors of the assembled burger (mustard, raw onion, pickles, ketchup) are so very sharp, you wouldn't even taste the subtler cornish hen. Just eat the burger.

Second, because it's all wrong, psychologically. Burgers and Cornish hens exist on different culinary levels of sophistication, and although mixing levels can be done to good effect by the right chef, stuffing a cheeseburger into a Cornish hen is not the way to do it.

And third -- what Jin said: Gah.

It simply does not sound too appetizing of an idea. I am not a big fan of bread stuffing into any kind of bird anyways (the "soggy stuffing/overcooked bird" factor). But a cheesburger in a CORNISH HEN!!! It sounds plain old nasty, and it does injustice to both foods (the hen and the burger).

I concur on the Gah

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I always toast the bread before stuffing a bird. The color is better and if the cubes are large enough maintain some level of chew/crunch. Plus I use pork sausage in the stuffing. Plain hamburger sounds too bland. And no spices to boot! I saw the episode while channel surfing (one always seems to get Emeril) and thought IMHO the idea was gross. I could not help but picture some soggy bun mess with a solid disk of hamburger meat.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

My apologies for having even brought it up. :hmmm:

I may still give it a go... However, I'll probably modify the burger. I'm not sure I'd use cheese, I'd toast the bun, and I'll add some spices to the beef-- BAM! Also, no pickles or ketchup, and I'd use plenty of good mustard.

What other ways could I mix "different levels of culinary sophistication"?

Mrs Paul's in a Champagne Cream Sauce?

Hot Dog and Truffle Risotto?

Campbell's Tomato Soup with Creme Fraiche and Beluga Caviar?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

This is not that weird. I've heard of using White Castle hamburgers chopped up as a poultry stuffing.

http://www.whitecastle.com/craveobilia/cra...asp?id=1&rid=11

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host