• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silver Bundt Pans - Crust Woes

RuthWells

I made my favorite pound cake (Bishop's Cake from Silver Palate) this weekend and baked some of the batter in a silver-lined mini-Bundt pan and some in a black-lined mini-Bundt.  The crust on the former was disappointing - pale and un-crusty.  The reason was obvious in retrospect.  My question is, is there any way to get a decent crust on a Bundt pan with a silver interior?  You can see the difference in the pic.

thumbnail_20200809_203301.jpg

Sorry you're not getting any answers here, so I'll bump it up. Your cake on top (left side if photo were rotated) actually looks really good, but I guess the point of Bundt cakes is to get the browned crusty part.

Maybe some experienced bakers can chime in.

• Like 1

the question may be:  what is the outside?

dark colors/pans absorb radiant heat more than shiny / light colored pans.

attached is a bread bake.  one dough batch, divided in two, one baked in dark loaf pan one baked in shiny loaf pan.

same recipe, same dough, same rise.

thermodynamics will not be ignored.

dark_light pan.JPG

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

the question may be:  what is the outside?

dark colors/pans absorb radiant heat more than shiny / light colored pans.

attached is a bread bake.  one dough batch, divided in two, one baked in dark loaf pan one baked in shiny loaf pan.

same recipe, same dough, same rise.

thermodynamics will not be ignored.

dark_light pan.JPG

That's a great question.  The outer finish is the same on both pans - and they are both Nordicware.  Which is why I suspect the inner finish as the culprit.

I'm just wondering if there is any way to get a darker crust with the lighter-interior pain, as I have several of them.  (I have a bit of a Bundt pan addiction!)