• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you help me diagnose my cheese bread?

pastameshugana

This morning I saw some fresh roasted green chilies in our refrigerator, and thought I would make some cheddar & green cheese bread.

I used a pretty basic recipe for the bread from Secrets of Jewish Baker, essentially the basic milk bread. Added some shredded sharp cheddar to the dough during the mix.

Rolled the dough flat and added chopped and (mostly) dried green chillies, more cheddar, and rolled it jelly roll style into my loaf pans.

The flavor is great, texture is close. Definitely in the ballpark of what I wanted to achieve (although I'm wishing for more chile flavor next time - I think I'll double the chillies and also add some 'chile water' to the dough).

However, as you can see in the picture, I got a big cavity in my rolls. I suspect I just needed to roll tighter, but is there some other issue that would be causing this?

1.thumb.jpeg.d5fd897c49e102ba797bcdeb2d2be98c.jpeg

Edited by pastameshugana
*grammar (log)

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

I used to make and sell a cheese bread as a teen but the cheese was "processed". The recipe is in a cookbook in storage so sorry no help on that. Cheese varies a lot. Eons ago but think mine was chunked up.

It's been my experience that dough with cheese kneaded into it doesn't rise as high as that without. But the pic looks like it needed a tighter roll.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Reminding me of the discussion around the modernist cinnamon raisin bread - tunnels. There was talk of ATK  making a braid and cutting it in half - here.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Reminding me of the discussion around the modernist cinnamon raisin bread - tunnels. There was talk of ATK  making a braid and cutting it in half - here.

Kerry thank you - some really sound advice over there!

Now my next attempt (by wife's request) is going to be a fig/brie roll.

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

On 8/11/2020 at 5:24 PM, heidih said:

This is the book I mentioned. Mine is still buried so, somewhere in the mess. A fun book for country fair nostalgia   https://www.biblio.com/book/blue-ribbon-recipes-cookbook-collectors-library/

That looks like a fun book! Searching for it took me down a rabbit-hole of 'county fair' recipe books.

PastaMeshugana

4 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

That looks like a fun book! Searching for it took me down a rabbit-hole of 'county fair' recipe books.

My son as a teen kept it on his bookshelf along with the re-print of Housekeeping in Old Virginia. He just thought it was all interesting and the writing style amused him. He is a writer, not a cook.  https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/housekeeping-in-old-virginia--containing-contributions-from-two-hundred-and-fifty-of-virginias-noted-housewives-distinguished-for-their-skill-in--art-and-other-branches-of-domestic-economy/8712402/