• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commercial Gluten-free breads available in Ontario?

Darienne

So I am gluten-free for a month anyway...along with sugar-free, dairy-free, coffee-free...and so far so good...except for the bread part. 

Ed bought two kinds of gluten-free bread for me to try last week at a regular grocery store in Ontario.  The whole grain bread was from Little Northern Bakehouse and it was awful, both untoasted and toasted.  The sandwich bread was from Glutino...now there's an appealing name...and it was even worse.

Is there such a thing as a passable...not good...just passable...gluten-free bread to buy in a grocery store in Ontario?  No American brands need apply...I won't be able to buy them in East Central Ontario in a small size city.

Thanks. 

• Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

If you have a Sobeys, that's the place to look. They carry a brand called "Promise," which I can personally vouch for as being fluffy and tender like "real" bread. They actually pulled a high-profile prank last year, creating a bogus artisan sandwich shop with a Toronto chef and not telling anyone the breads were GF.

Sobeys also has a newer "Compliments" brand bread product, which I have not personally tried but which is said to be very acceptable. Both are sold fresh in the bakery, rather than frozen from a case.

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

If you have a Sobeys, that's the place to look. They carry a brand called "Promise," which I can personally vouch for as being fluffy and tender like "real" bread. They actually pulled a high-profile prank last year, creating a bogus artisan sandwich shop with a Toronto chef and not telling anyone the breads were GF.

Sobeys also has a newer "Compliments" brand bread product, which I have not personally tried but which is said to be very acceptable. Both are sold fresh in the bakery, rather than frozen from a case.

We do have a Sobeys...the only store in town which carries Poblanos, although they are deemed 'hot'...and will hie ourselves off there today.  Thanks so much, CD. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

NP.

My daughter is not celiac but she has a nasty (medically diagnosed) sensitivity, which basically means all the same pain but without the side dish of lasting physical damage. I've bought the Promise product for her a few times, and tried it myself, and found it surprisingly decent. They even make a brioche.

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 8/10/2020 at 8:37 AM, chromedome said:

NP.

My daughter is not celiac but she has a nasty (medically diagnosed) sensitivity, which basically means all the same pain but without the side dish of lasting physical damage. I've bought the Promise product for her a few times, and tried it myself, and found it surprisingly decent. They even make a brioche.

Bought it and tried it and was pleasantly surprised at how palatable it was.  Mightily surprised even.   And I see that it comes in several formats. 

It's made in Ireland and imported, maybe by elves.  And it ain't cheap by a long shot.  

Today, a bacon and tomato sandwich for lunch.  On bread. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

9 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Bought it and tried it and was pleasantly surprised at how palatable it was.  Mightily surprised even.   And I see that it comes in several formats. 

It's made in Ireland and imported, maybe by elves.  And it ain't cheap by a long shot.  

Today, a bacon and tomato sandwich for lunch.  On bread. 

The first time I saw it at Sobeys they were sampling the brioche. Having tried several other GF breads and baked a few (the ATK sandwich loaf that's been posted here at some time or other is pretty good), I was genuinely astonished and impressed.

As you say, cheap it's not. But when you have a hankering for that soft loaf, it'll scratch your itch.

50 minutes ago, chromedome said:

The first time I saw it at Sobeys they were sampling the brioche. Having tried several other GF breads and baked a few (the ATK sandwich loaf that's been posted here at some time or other is pretty good), I was genuinely astonished and impressed.

As you say, cheap it's not. But when you have a hankering for that soft loaf, it'll scratch your itch.

Can't eat a bacon and tomato sandwich on gluten-free rice cakes!  

Now to find a decent pasta.  My first purchase ended up in shreds after cooking.  The second one, red lentils, not too bad.  Sister-in-law tells me of GoGo Quinoa and now to find a location....

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.