• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Crusty Chronicles. Savories from Bakeries.

Anna N

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Trader Joe's Steak and Stout pies for dinner last night:

And what do you think? I find it a  bit odd that they would use this format pastry for that filling.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I’m also curious what you thought. I posted about them upthread and thought they were tasty but overwhelmingly salty. 

I had completely forgotten that you had tried these!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@blue_dolphin - I may not be the best person to judge saltiness.  I've got something called Burning Tongue Syndrome that has impaired my ability to taste to a certain extent.  But Mr. Kim didn't find it overly salty.  

@Anna N - I'm guessing that you mean that one would expect pies with hot water crust pasty to have more of a layered and precise filling rather than a super thick mixed filling (rather like beef stew actually).  I think that the fact that that type of pie would normally be served room temperature/cold and this was intended to be served hot (American audience?) might explain that.  Though, I have to say that every hand raised pie I've ever had in the past (made by my English dad or his English/Irish mum) was more casual like this.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 9 months later...

I had to get petrol and go by the office feeling peckish. So I present to you the dubious cultural institution, the Servo pie. Fresh from the rewarming case. I splashed out and got a chunky beef and mushroom from the Tradie range. I don't know why that's a selling point. Maybe because tradies make good money here and can afford the best? I'll spare you a photo of the standard brown goo inside but will note that the meat was truly horrible.

20220201_131228_2.thumb.jpg.3fc464b97428fdb29c865c01ac0f9baf.jpg

• Sad 8

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

After my plunge into the world of savoury pastry and crusty collections. I can’t bring myself to even look at anything along those lines. Wonder how long it will take!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Just realized that I forgot to provide an update on that pie.  It's a delicious, meaty treat!  I wasn't sure what the size would be but it's made in a 9-inch pie pan and it arrived at fridge temp. 

Here's the pie:

380223275_IMG_3564(1).thumb.jpeg.c37b0c69bab0aee760176c92f44524e0.jpeg

The ingredients:

IMG_3563.thumb.jpeg.e26361e43c32fe3617366640c2f9dc97.jpeg

Mushrooms aren't mentioned but they are definitely in there. 

Here's a serving:

2020771277_beefcheekpie.thumb.jpg.d6cc6dbacd1dfa7ae0e9ac61e4ec9802.jpg

The CSO does a good job reheating.  Very delicious. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the absolute Sexiest Sausage Roll I have ever seen today.

I knew it was risky because Australian sausage rolls just dont do it for me as we have discussed before. Unfortunately like some eye candy its beauty was all on the outside and the internals were yuk (to me - hub would probably have loved it). 

20220324_183528.thumb.jpg.e3350f763ccf3d9f1ebe6ee78683ebac.jpg

I thought I was getting a pillow of pastry. But when I was handed it, it weighed at least 500g 😬😳 and was filled with dense, weirdly orange, sausage and the pastry was an illusion 😪. Maybe Filo?? Or super thin puff? 

20220324_183605.thumb.jpg.8029855618088d7de8f8bdf91e50610a.jpg

Win some. Loose More.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2022 at 1:46 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Just realized that I forgot to provide an update on that pie.  It's a delicious, meaty treat!  I wasn't sure what the size would be but it's made in a 9-inch pie pan and it arrived at fridge temp. 

Here's the pie:

The ingredients:

Here's a serving:

Love beef cheeks.  Just ordered 6 of them.

• Like 2

I remain savoury pastry averse! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Oh man, that beef cheek pie was one of the best things I’ve eaten with mind-changing potential. Too bad I couldn’t have shared it with you!

Nope. Even the photograph makes me mentally check my supply of Gravol. Took me almost 40 years to get over my aversion to hotdogs after eating almost nothing else for two years. Although the thought of sharing a meal with you is heartwarming. It just couldn’t be a savoury pastry. 

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2/24/2022 at 12:46 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Here's the pie:

The ingredients:

Here's a serving:

It doesn't look as though they ship, but your comment about their arriving at fridge temperature makes me wonder whether they do. Is this something I could order and haven't found the link, or will I have to wait until we visit the west coast again?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

54 minutes ago, Smithy said:

It doesn't look as though they ship, but your comment about their arriving at fridge temperature makes me wonder whether they do. Is this something I could order and haven't found the link, or will I have to wait until we visit the west coast again?

No, they don't ship.  Nor is that a regular item for them so neither of us can get one easily!  It arrived at fridge temp courtesy of my friends who picked it up for me.  We usually message each other when we head out to Roan Mills bakery in Fillmore to see if anyone wants anything. 

Those beef cheek pies were a special, made by the son of the Roan Mills & Kenter Canyon Farms owners when he was in the process of testing out recipes for a restaurant he was getting ready to take over  He'd previously had a restaurant in Los Angeles which was a pandemic casualty and is now the chef at Sear Steakhouse in Solvang.  I figure if I really want one, I'll ring up the restaurant and ask if he'll make me one 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1