• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Crusty Chronicles. Savories from Bakeries.

Anna N

On 11/9/2020 at 9:28 PM, Anna N said:

67FDEE09-87F0-4B65-A790-2B1FAB45CF9D.thumb.jpeg.3810ebe4e7bd5eb05dcb2995122a3a16.jpeg

This just might be the best thing I have tasted since I started this topic. It is a piece of

tourtière from Goûter, @Alleguede‘s Patisserie in Toronto. It was moist and appropriately spiced and I found the pastry to be exactly what I was expecting. I ate one piece for lunch and the second piece for dinner and if there were more I’d have another piece for dessert!

I recall you and/or Karrie having a connection at Cumbrae's

If you like touriere's - try theirs out, it is extremely decadent!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TicTac said:

I recall you and/or Karrie having a connection at Cumbrae's

If you like touriere's - try theirs out, it is extremely decadent!

There is a Cumbrae's in Dundas - Anna and I have not been there in a good while. I may need to make a trip there to pick one up for experimental purposes. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

I really appreciate the link so I hope you won’t take any of what else I have to say as  personal! I know you’re not that thin-skinned.

Felicity annoys the hell out of me. There is just too much of a sameness to her columns.  She is wordy. But perhaps she is still on the old system of a penny a word. 

So much for Felicity. I have a strong aversion to meat and potato in a pie shell. Too many carbs. Nothing to do with nutrition or dieting. So it seems very reasonable that I would run away a barm pie.

thanks again.

No problem! I get your aversion to too many carbs, but actually liked the pie in question.

After all, steak  and kidney pie is usually served with potatoes. I think the potatoes cooked with meat are delicious. Think stovies!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A couple of days ago I decided to try the tourtière from the Hamilton Pie Company. I did take a photograph but it was extremely blurry so I will save you the aggravation. @Duvelwill have to sulk. 😂

My first clue that this was not going to be one of my favourite pastries was the overwhelming aroma of allspice as soon as I broke the crust..I was able to choke down about half of it before binning the rest.

Had it not been for the overuse of the spice I think this might have been quite a good meal. The meat was juicy and plentiful although I think it was all beef. The pastry was good.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

There is some big footy game tie breaker happening tonight. State of Origin QLD Vs NSW basically. I'm not going to pretend i'm into sports nor am I going to pretend this is a bakery pie. This is (husbands family tradition) a frozen Balfours  "Footy Pie" lid off, add ketchup. 

Abomination. But the boys like it 🤷‍♀️

20201118_191440.thumb.jpg.c879a73ad3b80927c57b21f3d2eb6fa6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Trying to redeem myself. I could not sleep last night. Left for the farmers market early - they were still setting up. Grabbed my boys a pie and sausage roll for breakie (pie for breakfast is absolutely normal where I live 😂). These are the pics I took whilst waiting outside for them to finally wake up at 7. 

Cheese & Bacon Sausage Roll 

20201121_213027.thumb.jpg.5692aa3c607ce27fab870bd6ea35a0ca.jpg

Steak cheese and Bacon Pie

20201121_213043.thumb.jpg.a8992843bb5e6ddc23076534fdfd1b82.jpg

Both reported to be very good, but salty. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Cheese & Bacon Sausage Roll 

I had barely got over the horror of Footy Pie (made even more disgusting by the addition of ketchup) when you suggest something other than sausage should appear in a sausage roll. This is the reason I keep smelling salts close at hand. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I have to be honest and say that I hope there are not too many more Crusty items in my freezer. I think I have reached my limit.

237D2C71-79C2-46F0-986A-05633A4AD5A2.thumb.jpeg.c8bfce52d3239aad14910f709ccc14d7.jpeg

This was the butter chicken pie from the Hamilton pie Company. I do not know what made it butter chicken because it was not particularly flavourful and certainly did not remind me of any butter chicken dish that I have had before. In addition it was somewhat dry and just rather boring.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I have learned that some sort of Aussie meat pies are available in my area.  

I will attempt to link the photos but sensitive readers may wish to avert their eyes or avoid scrolling through to the end as ketchup was applied. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIWoEPOnvSe/ 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 2:31 PM, liuzhou said:

The BBC has posted an interesting article on the history and cultural significance of meat pies in Australia.

Thanks for the article! I bet not one Aussie I know gets the four and twenty reference! I just woke my husband up to inform him of this fact. He was Ama... not amused... but I'm sure he'll appreciate it tomorrow. (In case this is taken as sarcasm, I'm honestly tickled). 

Here's a pie I had for lunch by accident today. I went to the bakery for a salad roll but there were so many people I couldn't stand to wait for my fussy arse order to be made. I asked for a steak pie but it was mince so pretty meh - good pastry though as always. 

20201216_202025.thumb.jpg.6e767fdd395d85de828a49e1b5acc85b.jpg

Again referencing the article, the town closest to where I live has a population of approx 2200 people - and 3 pie shops. No fast food. The Aussies like Pie. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

On 12/7/2020 at 11:31 PM, liuzhou said:

The BBC has posted an interesting article on the history and cultural significance of meat pies in Australia.

Don’t know how I missed this when it was for us posted. Thanks very much.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the final pie in my freezer but this experience makes me hope so! It definitely redefines pizza pie. FFC2B6C3-D0B1-4A33-9F1E-B160475E8D8F.thumb.jpeg.9bc079a1c8282390e00765cf6a23389f.jpeg

just out of the oven. Cremated pepperoni on top.

5F3DBB9A-64FA-4E7B-A040-D9B0FE166954.thumb.jpeg.e3c5374caf21d18902dd4e4d3dfcc379.jpeg

innards. The first thing that landed on my fork was another slice of pepperoni that was limp and bland. Not exactly sure what the filling was beyond pepperoni, cheese and tomatoes in some guise. There may have been sausage meat. I managed to consume perhaps half of the crust and a forkful of the filling before abandoning the effort entirely.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 10

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Fidgety Pie

I'd totally forgotten about this, but I ate one of these around 50 years ago. And really enjoyed it.

The name most definitely rings a bell but even though I am from Derbishire I don’t recall ever eating one. Sounds tasty. Thanks for this. It will be a new line of conversation with my sister in the near future as her experience with Derbishire is much longer than mine. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

Two more savory hand pies from Roan Mills.  

Lamb:

1238297101_IMG_3740(1).thumb.jpeg.cc5c847d2bef409859524b1d46083a41.jpeg

The filling was mostly ground lamb with leeks, dried cherries and a bit of carrot.  I debated adding some cherry mustard from the fridge but by the time I'd settled on it, I'd polished off the whole thing. 

Pulled pork:

IMG_3663.thumb.jpeg.9c2b1ff50ff93e0ba7cc4bc842653dbb.jpeg

I had this one a while ago and I can't remember exactly what was in the filling.  Mostly pork.  It was very tasty. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Two more savory hand pies from Roan Mills.  

Despite your great photographs of what look like tasty pies I think I overdosed! I can’t even think of a pie or pastry right now without a wave of nausea. That said. I’m doing fine with egg/spring rolls. ☹️

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Despite your great photographs of what look like tasty pies I think I overdosed! I can’t even think of a pie or pastry right now without a wave of nausea. That said. I’m doing fine with egg/spring rolls. ☹️

That's especially understandable after that last pizza pie!  When I go over to Roan Mills, I can't resist trying one if they have some thing I haven't had yet. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new favourite aldesko pie. Creamy Chicken. 

If you really want a glimpse into the Australian love affair with pies, look for Pyneys Pie Reviews on Facebook - he made me try this one from my local bakery and I am in love. 

20210422_123016.thumb.jpg.b4479e179a65fc9b8f1b2cd8a958bd40.jpg

Could perhaps use some crunch / veg but is pretty perfect. 

20210422_123044.thumb.jpg.9e993222ad85af6ed830981329caed1f.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

9 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I have a new favourite aldesko pie. Creamy Chicken. 

If you really want a glimpse into the Australian love affair with pies, look for Pyneys Pie Reviews on Facebook - he made me try this one from my local bakery and I am in love. 

Could perhaps use some crunch / veg but is pretty perfect. 

20210422_123044.thumb.jpg.9e993222ad85af6ed830981329caed1f.jpg

Is this actually the inside of the pie?  So really just creamy chicken?  Oh, wow!  This is my dream pie - meat and gravy and crust.  I'd eat a salad on the side and just go to town!

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Is this actually the inside of the pie?  So really just creamy chicken?  Oh, wow!  This is my dream pie - meat and gravy and crust.  I'd eat a salad on the side and just go to town!

Yeah! Actually what it "says on the tin", no sneaky filler. I don't know what American single serve pies are worth but this was $6au which I think is reasonable 🙂

• Like 4