• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Crusty Chronicles. Savories from Bakeries.

Anna N

and there is :

https://www.amazon.com/Fray-Bentos-Minced-Beef-Onion/dp/B00Y2WYAMQ/ref=pd_bxgy_2/131-5570512-5638352?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00Y2WYAMQ&pd_rd_r=9fa70e6c-f644-4f5d-a355-fe8b21d8b6f6&pd_rd_w=FCIWD&pd_rd_wg=LEvOR&pf_rd_p=ce6c479b-ef53-49a6-845b-bbbf35c28dd3&pf_rd_r=84SND97MGWTNSMVVAZ3A&psc=1&refRID=84SND97MGWTNSMVVAZ3A

both are in my Shopping Cart !  and one w just chicken !

Ooooops :   delivery is not free , it more than doubles the price

its not going to be that tasty

did get a month of A-Prime free , but w an empty cart.

***   sigh **** 

now I have to remember to cancel A-Prime in 30 days !

there's always something .....

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

They sell them over here but my husband would not get over me spending $8.50 on a pie thats in a can. 

Should I ever spot one here, I will certainly give it a try.  It does look vaguely familiar so I may have sinned in the past!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

46 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I don’t mind spending a little on these things but on Amazon.ca two of these pies would be $28.15 +23.99 shipping. Not going to happen.

Edited to add:

I will ask @Kerry Bealto keep her eyes open and some of the British grocery stores around here. 

I

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

A Google search for Keef Cooks Fray Bentos should bring up a Youtube video of one of these pies being prepared and served!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I don’t mind spending a little on these things but on Amazon.ca two of these pies would be $28.15 +23.99 shipping. Not going to happen.

Edited to add:

I will ask @Kerry Bealto keep her eyes open and some of the British grocery stores around here. 

I

I’ve seen and I’ve eaten them before!

• Like 2

@Anna N 

thank you for the reference .

enjoyed that vid , and a few others linked on the R

esp one on chicken from the Wolfe Pit.

pies contain Margarine !   

and apparently the soggy ' under crust '

is " highly prized '

I believe it !

now if Amazon would sell me a few of these of different fillings 

( there is a Steak and Ale ! )

w free shipping      ie  2 pies for 9 USD

well , that would give  me something to do every few weeks

( 2.6 grams of NaCL / pie !   suprise.gif.af0b4a7541bfe49853cd776ca532275e.gif )

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I’ve seen and I’ve eaten them before!

Wow! Who knew?

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

They don't usually put the tail in the pies!

No that is cook's treat well fried and the blown up bladder is the children's balloon (see Laura Ingalls Wilder). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

01435905-1B7E-44A0-8C08-1BF632205288.thumb.jpeg.ee52f0c18911c34c17d5cdeae66c6410.jpeg

@Kerry BealWill likely be quite horrified. I got distracted while I was reheating this Opie’s beef sausage roll. 

3BCFD3D6-50BF-4849-837C-82EB6EADCE09.thumb.jpeg.3f3d612a88b9cf751fb380a931a7ba0a.jpeg

However in spite of being just a little too well browned, it was a very satisfactory snack. The pastry was extraordinarily flaky and the filling was quite satisfactory both taste- and texture-wise and the proportion of filling to pastry was right on. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

01435905-1B7E-44A0-8C08-1BF632205288.thumb.jpeg.ee52f0c18911c34c17d5cdeae66c6410.jpeg

@Kerry BealWill likely be quite horrified. I got distracted while I was reheating this Opie’s beef sausage roll. 

3BCFD3D6-50BF-4849-837C-82EB6EADCE09.thumb.jpeg.3f3d612a88b9cf751fb380a931a7ba0a.jpeg

However in spite of being just a little too well browned, it was a very satisfactory snack. The pastry was extraordinarily flaky and the filling was quite satisfactory both taste- and texture-wise and the proportion of filling to pastry was right on. 

So this wasn't a Freudian thing? 🤣

• Haha 2

On 9/14/2020 at 4:30 AM, liuzhou said:

Hmmm. well for now we'll let you stay unti you see the errors of your ways! We will be monitoring!

I remember those canned pies, but never knowingly ate one. That said, my mother wasn't only a dreadful cook, but also very devious,  so who knows?

We've seen a photo of your mother. Surely that sweet little lady is in no form devious!

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 minutes ago, kayb said:

We've seen a photo of your mother. Surely that sweet little lady is in no form devious!

She has never been caught in the act, but always gets her own way considerably more often often than statistically likely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

25 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

That is the perfect definition of a "good mother"-never caught in the act and always looking like an angel.  I was never able to quite pull it off.  My horns kept knocking my halo off center.

No no no halos are usually cock-eyed in most images- makes them real. Just like aprons have stains. And like my favorite quite from Velveteen Rabbit about being real. https://www.etsy.com/listing/815057702/the-velveteen-rabbit-you-become-hand?

Not exactly from a bakery, this is the Steak & Stout Pie from the freezer case at Trader Joe's.  Most decidedly not health food.  Cooking Light has it on their list of most unhealthy meals at TJ's.  800 calories, which is certainly a lot but also 1189 mg sodium per pie, which is really appalling.  In other times, I might have skipped it.  Well, in other times, except for this thread, I'd never have given it a glance. But once I picked up the box, I could sense people behind me so instead of reading the label, I threw it in my cart and moved on.  Did I mention that I was very hungry?  $6.99 or ~$3.50/serving.

There are 2 pies in the box, both individually wrapped.  Cooking time given on the box, from frozen is 45-50 min @ 350°F 

IMG_3037.thumb.jpeg.c1b31eb9f9cd71aa7a074b83816424f9.jpeg

Unsurprisingly, I found this unpleasantly salty.  But if I was hungry at TJ's, I was starving by the time I got home and waited 50 more min for it to cook in the CSO, so I dug in anyway.  I'm sure I'd be happy with 1/4 the amount of salt, which would still be a very high sodium meal.  Or high sodium day. A pity, because it's otherwise it's quite good.  Lots of meat, a little potato, a nice amount of (very salty) gravy and a mostly flaky crust.  One or two meat bits should have been better trimmed but most of it was really quite good, aside from the salt.  

One small area of crust was overly thick but that was all that I left behind.  If you're a salt hound, I recommend it.  

Meanwhile, I'm drinking a lot of water and wondering if dialysis would be advised....

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Here's an Australian Aldi contribution from the frozen section

20200915_120147.thumb.jpg.9d6161a3d8249b0fdeb217b4ad0c7e49.jpg

20200915_130258_001.thumb.jpg.f7ac66f2ac86e24b61e9392e1aef5d72.jpg

Not too bad. Not excessively cheesy, in spite of the unincorporated wad you can see, and not overpowered by the leek. No tin so served right side up. They also do a slow-cooked beef version that is decent. Still not quite the same as going to the bakery. 

Edited by haresfur
photos weren't showing up (log)
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

19 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

...800 calories, which is certainly a lot but also 1189 mg sodium per pie, which is really appalling.  In other times, I might have skipped it.  Well, in other times, except for this thread, I'd never have given it a glance.

I noticed high sodium on a lot of TJ's frozen products. :o I looked at their Asian-themed foods (Fried Rice, for example) and the sodium was shockingly high. I had a friend who observed sodium content years before it was the thing to do, and she said someday we're all going to explode from the sodium in our food. :B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

there is going to be an Aldi near me at some point

re-consturction ( taking out what was already there and expanding the store size )

Ill look for that if I can remember

repost the pic , just in case that's helpful to those who missed it

20200915_130258_001.thumb.jpg.f7ac66f2ac86e24b61e9392e1aef5d72.jpg.6d26a97ec60afa1520c331042e7ac7ba.jpg

Ill give the TJ's version some thought if I see it on a Lightning Blitz

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The only good news is that the 300 staff now in quarantine for three weeks are still being paid their full salaries.

That is good news but perhaps not the only good news… I was just reading this when @Kerry Bealphoned to say she was out and about so I gave her a little nudge to pick up some more material for the Crusty Chronicles. 
😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog