• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Crusty Chronicles. Savories from Bakeries.

Anna N

57 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

So many beautiful sausage rolls. Anyone else picking imaginary flakes of pastry from their clevage reflexively? 

Just me? Carry on. 😄

I have never picked anything out my cleavage ever! Other people's? None of your business. 😃

• Haha 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

When my daughter texted me a photograph of this pie as she did while doing my grocery shopping, I almost instinctively said, “No thanks!“ But then one can only eat so many steak and kidney pies.  (Speaking only for myself, of course.). 

So I told her to grab just one. I had to satisfy my curiosity. I also have to keep those who are following our mini blog from becoming totally bored.

34177821-007A-4C10-973C-232643CAA177.thumb.jpeg.9ce650e95ba8f0cffe6beab42d18fdfb.jpeg

This really was a mystery to me. I had to assume sausage and beer to account for the Oktoberfest name. Beyond that I had no idea. There was no nutritional information nor any cooking instructions. I did look up the pie on the Denninger’s website but got a 404, page not found, error.  Still I was able to determine that it was Bratwurst simmered in sauerkraut and beer with some mustard..

E5190273-5325-40A4-9A9C-35530B63E869.thumb.jpeg.955ea3f6358b734fd038fecf41da6e9d.jpeg

Out of its packaging. 

25279657-5AFE-4B9B-BBF0-6B7D51786438.thumb.jpeg.04e66b9a0c1e5241245d48355a641bf3.jpeg

Baked at 325°F for 55 minutes.

1C4C5EBE-CE5C-4262-9C30-C89E9F849FE2.thumb.jpeg.058e7cbf05a636bb3db2a9d91ae42f53.jpeg

Tipped out into a bowl.

AEDE7C38-D0E4-4E77-AD8E-1E2720A6443F.thumb.jpeg.f75c487152394030cccabf173580f801.jpeg

Broken into.

It was easy to distinguish the taste of the bratwurst and of the mustard but the beer and the sauerkraut were muted. I would’ve expected a little more tang from the sauerkraut.  Did I love it? Not really but it wasn’t horrible. 

I did a little bit of research and discovered that it is a thing. Betty Crocker offers a recipe using Bisquick. Here. There was no cheese in the pie that I had. The salad suggested as a side would have been a great idea!

ED28390F-D5EC-4D4A-892F-28B52EB48707.thumb.jpeg.45874c0771bbee4be2c4eb2776aa37ea.jpeg

Apparently I’m prepared to finish up just about anything!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had never heard of Octoberfest Pie until now, and I too have been interested in the turned-over pie presentation. It makes sense if one isn't going to eat the pie directly from the baking tin, but I'd never seen it until this topic.

Incidentally, I loved the sound of the curried pie a few posts ago. If I ever get around to trying my hand at pot pies again, I'm going that way.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I am rather intrigued with your upside down pie serving methodology, though!

I am surprised that anyone even remarks upon it. Obviously other people are either eating these pies straight from their aluminum containers (I won’t judge) else they are much more adept at removing them intact and right side up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

Incidentally, I loved the sound of the curried pie a few posts ago. If I ever get around to trying my hand at pot pies again, I'm going that way.

Yes I will be looking for more of these and hope to compare different ones from the different bakeries. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

Really like the idea of sausages simmered in kraut and mustard....doubtful it will make a pie appearance here (gluten free house), but I can see how it might be very good baked with a cornbread crust of sorts....

The need to be be gluten free poses challenges. I notice only a single offering of a gluten-free chicken pot pie. That was listed on the menu from the Hamilton Meat Pie Company posted early in this thread. 

Edited by Anna N
Changed wasn’t to was! Duh. (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

Im pleased you are able to do a

P.P. Journey for us hera.

nice

of course , its a bit of a dichotomy :

Crust   and Filling , that does not ruin the crust 

your UpSideDown sur le plate 

was new to me , but makes a lot or sense 

Im also pleased that your PP are coming from a Local Place

and you have wonderful people that are looking 

out for you and Providing .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mark us down as another "turn it upside down" couple.  Sounds almost kinky doesn't  it?.  I've never gotten much beyond Marie Calendar pies but planning on changing that as soon as I can free range shop again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Add me to the list of those who'd not seen the flipped pot pie.  Growing up, the top crust, which had some potential to be crisp and flaky was removed, the contents dumped on to the plate and the top placed back, leaning on the pile of filling.  The bottom crust was inspected but generally deemed not worth eating.  

This morning, I ventured out for a rare trip to deliver popsicles to a friend and made a detour to Roan Mills in Fillmore.  I've mentioned them before. They are an offshoot of Kenter Canyon Farms and grow grain, mill it and bake it into bread and various other baked goods.  They do the milling and baking at the Fillmore location and sell at local farmers markets and to restaurants, the latter now significantly curtailed. Even their farmers market business was shut down for months when LA County banned the sale of prepared foods at the markets.   But I digress....back on topic:

While I was picking up some scones for my friend, one lemon, one blackberry, I spied a selection of hand pies, both sweet and savory.

I thought:  Crusty ✔️ Savory ✔️ From a bakery ✔️

Why yes, I do believe they meet the criteria so I skipped the apricot but purchased one each turkey, ham & cheese and pizza hand pie in order to gain admittance to this thread.  

Starting with the turkey, reheated from room temp in the CSO at 350°F for, I think, 8 minutes.  

IMG_2975.thumb.jpeg.f11b18bf47d127f3c6e70afb45525d4d.jpeg

With ham & cheese and pizza as the other alternatives, I wasn't sure what to expect here - something like a pot pie? or the contents of a turkey sandwich wrapped in pastry?

As you can see below, it is more like a pot pie.  Moistened through but no actual liquid gravy, which I guess would be messy in a hand pie:

IMG_2976.thumb.jpeg.398e5cdf8d5b3338fb09f22717d1d0bf.jpeg

Potato, carrot, zucchini, greens of some sort and turkey.  Less turkey than I'd expect given its top billing, but it was flavorful.

The crust was flaky but too thick so there was a doughy layer surrounding the filling.  Since I was eating off a plate with a fork, it was easy to lift off the flaky part and leave the doughy bit behind on my plate. 

They use all stone ground, whole grain flours and the flavor is great.  They turn out lovely pies as well as laminated pastries like croissants so I was disappointed at the doughiness, though I appreciate that it's a fine line between too thick and thin spots that rupture and leak filling all over the place.  

A satisfying breakfast.  The other two went in the fridge and will be reheated for future meals. 

• Like 5

Do calzones count? A pizza place here makes an astonishing calzone. Sadly, they do not make a GF version of it. I have found a recipe for GF pie crust, but haven't tried it yet.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I am surprised that anyone even remarks upon it. Obviously other people are either eating these pies straight from their aluminum containers (I won’t judge) else they are much more adept at removing them intact and right side up. 

I'm surprised by the reaction and comments regarding the flipping of the pie. Makes me wonder if it's an English thing. I've flipped forever.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

To get the pie upside up on the serving plate you just need one more serving plate. First you flip it upside down like you are doing. Then you put a second serving plate on the top of the upside-down pie, flip both plates (with the pie in the middle), remove the first plate (that now is up) and you end up with your pie upside up. Plus one more plate to clean, so not much sense in doing it.

Teo

• Haha 3

Teo

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am surprised as well. Dumping them out onto a plate is how we always did it. The bottom crust is the best part, IMO!

PS: Hubby said Yeah, that way you can chop it up and season it (translated to mean adding lots of black pepper).

Edited by robirdstx
Added PS (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@IowaDee 

M.C. 

[ed.: Not the Cat ]

had some very nice pies in the past .  there was a new

restaurant and take out near my home , in the bay area

way back .  when i went to visit , I ( we ) took out quite a few pies

made tight their   never thought to ask about Savorie

that was a long long long time ago

and a delicious time it was.

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Add me to the list of those who'd not seen the flipped pot pie.  Growing up, the top crust, which had some potential to be crisp and flaky was removed, the contents dumped on to the plate and the top placed back, leaning on the pile of filling.  The bottom crust was inspected but generally deemed not worth eating.  

That is an interesting approach. Usually one of these pies represents a whole meal for me.  Leaving the bottom crust means leaving part of my meal behind. I certainly left the crust behind from the Scotch pie but otherwise I have found them acceptable if a bit soggy.  

Awfully glad to see you joining in with your contributions. Just wondering when you reheated in the CSO did you use just convection or did you use steam-bake?

I am not a fan of turke y as just about everybody knows but your pie still looks interesting.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, demiglace said:

I'm surprised by the reaction and comments regarding the flipping of the pie. Makes me wonder if it's an English thing. I've flipped forever.

Speaking only for myself I suspect it might be a lazy thing!  But I refuse to apologize for it because it works. 

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, kayb said:

Do calzones count? A pizza place here makes an astonishing calzone. Sadly, they do not make a GF version of it. I have found a recipe for GF pie crust, but haven't tried it yet.

I see no reason why calzones wouldn’t count.

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Awfully glad to see you joining in with your contributions. Just wondering when you reheated in the CSO did you use just convection or did you use steam-bake?

I used convection bake.  I'll try steam-bake when I reheat the others.  They'll be either coming from the fridge or freezer. 

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am not a fan of turke y as just about everybody knows but your pie still looks interesting.

It was pretty good.  Thankfully, there were no mushy peas 🤣

16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

M.C. 

[ed.: Not the Cat ]

had some very nice pies in the past .  there was a new

restaurant and take out near my home , in the bay area

way back .  when i went to visit , I ( we ) took out quite a few pies

made tight their   never thought to ask about Savorie

The only savory pie that my local Marie Callender's has on their current menu is a chicken pot pie.  It's $12.99.  The nutritional info lists it as a single serving @ 1140 calories and 1020 mg sodium.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I actually really like @Anna N's method of consuming the pie upside down (the pie, not Anna N!)

I have one beef pot pie from Maid's Cottage in the freezer which I might bring out one of these days, so I can play in this sandbox too!  Only thing is, it is larger than 1 serving (serves about me and a kid)...but I really want to flip it!

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, TicTac said:

I actually really like @Anna N's method of consuming the pie upside down (the pie, not Anna N!)

I didn't say or mean to imply that I somehow disapproved of pie flipping - I was just intrigued. If I were have difficulty removing the pie from the original container, I would double flip. I just think it looks better not upside down (upside up?). Make no difference to the taste, of course!

Right now, I wouldn't care if the pie were up, down, sideways, inside-out or mirror-imaged!  I want pie!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto