• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

20 minutes ago, donk79 said:

I'm curious about this use if the roots.  I may have heard it in passing before, but I am paying attention now!  Are there any tips you can give about how to use it?

The pot pie recipe is from Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home.  I found that the parsely added a particular sweetness that I really missed when I left it out. (There may have been a few too many potpies in our house during early Covid lockdown.)

It may have been the variety as they were pretty big. More along the lines of a small parsnip - great flavor. We only used them in soups. I stole them and let the others fight over the carrots. There is a firm core that is often not edible. Nothing I have grown from US commercial seed packets was worthy. But as those who enjoy SE Asian cuisine use cilantro roots pounded in curry pastes  I think even the wimpy ones would add interest at times. Trial and error.

heidih

heidih

14 minutes ago, donk79 said:

I'm curious about this use if the roots.  I may have heard it in passing before, but I am paying attention now!  Are there any tips you can give about how to use it?

The pot pie recipe is from Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home.  I found that the parsely added a particular sweetness that I really missed when I left it out. (There may have been a few too many potpies in our house during early Covid lockdown.)

It may have been the variety as they were pretty big. More along the lines of a small parsnip - great flavor. Nothing I have grown from US commercial seed packets was worthy. But as those who enjoy SE Asian cuisine use cilantro roots pounded in curry pastes  I think even the wimpy ones would add interest at times. Trial and error.