• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Goddess...or Ranch?

weinoo

If you had to pick one of these two classic salad dressings/dips, which one would you choose?

And if you have a great recipe for either, please let it fly! I'm personally a fan of Ranch, and enjoy making this classic recipe from Julia Moskin at the Times, who wrote:

The original dressing served in the 1950s at Hidden Valley Ranch, a guest ranch near Santa Barbara, Calif., was made mostly from dry herbs and aromatics. To recreate that taste, this recipe is made with garlic powder instead of garlic, dried parsley instead of fresh, and so on.

INGREDIENTS:

FOR THE SEASONING MIX: 

1 ½ teaspoons dried chives

1 teaspoon dried parsley

1 teaspoon dried dill

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon black pepper

¼ teaspoon mustard powder (optional)

2 tablespoons buttermilk powder (optional)

FOR EACH CUP OF DRESSING:

1 T of the above seasoning mix (I say - or to taste!)

½ cup chilled sour cream or mayonnaise

½ cup chilled buttermilk

Salt, to taste

(And why not pepper?)

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm with Jo.     We make up and keep a small jar of each in the fridge.    I am partial to the Momofuku  version of ranch, subbing cocktail onions for pickled ramps.  

Most recently, because I had a chunk of pecorino that was going nowhere, I Googled and found a ranch variation incorporating this pungent sheep cheese.    Is proving excellent on sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

5 minutes ago, weinoo said:

But. But. But.

That's not what was asked.

And provolone does not go into classic ranch.

Sorry.    But it was pecorino not provolone.   

If I HAD to pick between them, I'd go with Green Goddess because of the anchovy kick.    (I add more anchovy then this recipe.)

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

Lovem both but if a knife were to the gullet(e) I'd go goddess for practicality.  I usually have most of those ingredients but not buttermilk.  What to do with the extra?  Fried chicken? Pancakes?  I can't be up all night thinking about it and that's what'll happen. 

That wasn't chicken

I vote for Green Goddess as I like bold flavors. I'll take Marie's Ranch in a pinch but since I am usually nuoc mam or oil & vinegar so that toss-up is rare.

Edited by heidih (log)

Well, I would answer Green Goddess, but I would honestly be comparing inferior dressings (bottled and not homemade).  I've only made Green Goddess a few times and preferred it to bottled or homemade (?) Hidden Valley.  But, then, of COURSE I would.  I'm printing out your recipe for Ranch, @weinoo - it looks amazing.  I can't promise that I won't add some grated pecorino to some of it and compare the flavor of regular Ranch and Cheese Ranch.  

I must admit there is a kinda local place that has an amazing house made ranch which I'd just spoon up. The zucchini  #48 I could eat all day. https://www.3brothersteriyaki.com/ AND it is next to the ice rink so you can skate and then feel ok indulging :)

Edited by heidih (log)

I rarely use ranch but I've never tasted green goddess so I guess I'd have to say ranch entirely because, in a can-only-have-one situation, I wouldn't want to risk something I've never tried. But my real answer for a can-only-have-one classic dressing would be blue cheese. :P:D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

10 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I rarely use ranch but I've never tasted green goddess so I guess I'd have to say ranch entirely because, in a can-only-have-one situation, I wouldn't want to risk something I've never tried. But my real answer for a can-only-have-one classic dressing would be blue cheese. :P:D

An ex loved  again Marie's  (in the cold case produce section)  https://www.target.com/p/marie-s-all-natural-chunky-blue-cheese-dressing-12oz/-

14 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

I wonder what would happen if someone mixed ranch and green goddess. I’d try it. Hell I’d make it if I wasn’t in a hotel right now. 

Ask the restaurant kitchen, report back.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

No restaurant here, they’re close due to COVID. I am in a suite with a refrigerator, microwave, oven and electric stove. I am really bad with electric stoves. I foresee burning something simple like soup in the near future. 

Supposedly we should get power back by next Tuesday. A week. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

No restaurant here, they’re close due to COVID. I am in a suite with a refrigerator, microwave, oven and electric stove. I am really bad with electric stoves. I foresee burning something simple like soup in the near future. 

Supposedly we should get power back by next Tuesday. A week. 🤷🏻‍♀️

They are telling us Sunday night for power. I feel your pain.

Have you considered a generator? We have a whole house deal that is needed several times a year...5 times since 11/19. Comes on automatically.

It really takes the dread of storms away.

Oh...ranch for me

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4

I have never made Green Goddess, but it seems like I would really like it due to the fact that it has anchovies. Who has a great recipe?

@gfweb - good move on the generator; recently a friend put one in his house up in the Adirondacks; he's already had the opportunity to use it. Probably paid for itself by keeping the refrigerator and freezer running.

17 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

I usually have most of those ingredients but not buttermilk. 

I keep buttermilk powder on hand for just these emergencies. Though I usually have kefir, or even plain yogurt, which I find to be acceptable subs.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

48 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I keep buttermilk powder on hand for just these emergencies. Though I usually have kefir, or even plain yogurt, which I find to be acceptable subs.

I've never worked with it but if it's anything like powdered creamer vs half n half  i'm making that spl trip for the real thing.  How does it compare? 

25 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Just stick some lemon juice or white wine vinegar in regular milk. Wait 5 minutes. Buttermilk (as near as damn it).

Wonder how the chemistry w go if you combined w the dressing ingredients all at once?  I'm guessing not good.  Curdle city?  I don't know these things because my wife skeeves much dairy.  Witnessing this concoction would turn her greener than the goddess dressing. 

Edited by Eatmywords (log)

That wasn't chicken

8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I wonder what would happen if someone mixed ranch and green goddess. I’d try it. Hell I’d make it if I wasn’t in a hotel right now. 

They are similar enough (mayo, sour dairy, onion family) that I think you would just wind up with a green ranch with slight accent of tarragon and anchovy. 

eGullet member #80.