• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Goddess...or Ranch?

weinoo

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to say I prefer my riffs on ranch, but I think what I end up with is maybe closer to green goddess in the end! Though no tarragon or anchovy so far. I think buttermilk is essential for me.

Ages ago I started buying the HVR ranch mix (the powder) in large format canisters. I use it more as a base than following the directions -- I will often blend in some combination of herbs, scallions, and (green) hot peppers, plus citrus juice or vinegar, and a glug of olive oil to balance it out. I tend to also reduce the mayonnaise in mine in favor of dairy -- often 1/3 each mayo, sour cream, and buttermilk.

Another variation I love that I stumbled on entirely by accident is za'atar ranch -- ranch made more or less "by the book" with a large quantity of good za'atar in it. Probably a quarter cup of za'atar in a batch of dressing. (I tend to prefer the za'atar I get at middle eastern grocers in large sizes -- 1lb bags or canisters – and typically labeled either "green" or "lebanese." I got some from Penzeys once and it was terrible.)

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dtremit said:

I was going to say I prefer my riffs on ranch, but I think what I end up with is maybe closer to green goddess in the end! Though no tarragon or anchovy so far. I think buttermilk is essential for me.

Another variation I love that I stumbled on entirely by accident is za'atar ranch -- ranch made more or less "by the book" with a large quantity of good za'atar in it. Probably a quarter cup of za'atar in a batch of dressing. (I tend to prefer the za'atar I get at middle eastern grocers in large sizes -- 1lb bags or canisters – and typically labeled either "green" or "lebanese." I got some from Penzeys once and it was terrible.)

I like your "riffs". Penzeys down the road - not a fan. I love this article from @David Lebovitz  https://www.davidlebovitz.com/a-visit-to-abu-kassem-zaatar-farm/

On 8/19/2020 at 1:00 AM, heidih said:

I like your "riffs". Penzeys down the road - not a fan. I love this article from @David Lebovitz  https://www.davidlebovitz.com/a-visit-to-abu-kassem-zaatar-farm/

I like Penzeys for a lot of stuff but that za'atar was clearly not their best effort.

That farm visit looks magical! A quick google suggests that this is the US source for the stuff he mentions:

https://www.eatzaatar.com/

A little pricy but I'm going to give it a try -- a half pound will last a while.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 8:43 PM, dtremit said:

Ages ago I started buying the HVR ranch mix (the powder) in large format canisters. I use it more as a base than following the directions -- I will often blend in some combination of herbs, scallions, and (green) hot peppers, plus citrus juice or vinegar, and a glug of olive oil to balance it out. I tend to also reduce the mayonnaise in mine in favor of dairy -- often 1/3 each mayo, sour cream, and buttermilk.

Entirely agree.    I usually start with a splat of mayo, almost as much sour cream, handful of green onions, similar amount of jarred cocktail onions, spoon of dried or fresh dill, handful of fresh parsley, salt and pepper.    Mix with an immersion blender, then taste.   If it lacks ooomph, I add a spoon of that HVR powder.  And or a few spoons of juice from the cocktail onions. 

The batch I made several days ago is really prime, one of our best.    Last night on asparagus was luscious.

IMG_0219.thumb.jpg.b44030c702fefee21caf2ee48d35f029.jpg

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.