• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Goddess...or Ranch?

weinoo

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

They are telling us Sunday night for power. I feel your pain.

Have you considered a generator? We have a whole house deal that is needed several times a year...5 times since 11/19. Comes on automatically.

It really takes the dread of storms away.

Oh...ranch for me

We also purchased a whole house generator last November. Have needed it twice recently during severe thunderstorms. It is a great comfort knowing we will not have to source gasoline and hook up the portable generator every time power goes out, especially during natural disasters. They are not cheap, but worth it.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I can vouch for this one.

IMHO Green Goddess requires a good handful of fresh tarragon and some lemon..  I also prefer to use good anchovy rather than paste.   The one you linked calls for watercress and tarragon vinegar which will undoubtedly make an interesting and delicious dressing but not classic Green Goddess.  

edited to qualify, dried tarragon can be substituted if necessary, but tarragon is a given, IMO

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

Yes I am going to have our home estimated for a generator. It will likely cost more than a new, fully loaded Jetta and I never purchase cars. 

I have to make green goddess. I’d also like to make a true Caesar salad but with grilled romaine. I miss the days of tableside Caesar salads. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Yes I am going to have our home estimated for a generator. It will likely cost more than a new, fully loaded Jetta and I never purchase cars. 

Eek!  I had no idea it was that expensive.  

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

If it makes you feel better, our last paint job approximated that and does nothing to keep light on.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

eGullet member #80.

15 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

If it makes you feel better, our last paint job approximated that and does nothing to keep light on.  

Does anyone know just why it's so expensive?

8 minutes ago, lindag said:

Does anyone know just why it's so expensive?

If you are talking about the whole house generator, we had a 20 kw unit installed at a cost of just under $13k. I am sure prices differ in different areas of the country, due to site prep, labor and permitting costs.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

If you are talking about the whole house generator, we had a 20 kw unit installed at a cost of just under $13k. I am sure prices differ in different areas of the country, due to site prep, labor and permitting costs.

Used fully loaded Jetta.😀

eGullet member #80.

Confession - even though I have the dried chives, I do like to up the ante on the Ranch a bit by adding real parsley and real chives, which might be my new, favorite herb (thanks to Jacques and his use of it in almost all his videos).

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Just now, weinoo said:

Confession - even though I have the dried chives, I do like to up the ante on the Ranch a bit by adding real parsley and real chives, which might be my new, favorite herb (thanks to Jacques and his use of it in almost all his videos).

Chives come close to defining French cooking.    When not available, I frequently slit green onion greens lengthwise and slice into chive-like bits.

eGullet member #80.

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Oh, to have a consistent supply of chervil and tarragon...imagine how French I'd become!

I have vigorous tarragon but have never been able to grow consistent chervil.

eta nor is chervil regularly available in my markets.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I have vigorous tarragon but have never been able to grow consistent chervil.

eta nor is chervil regularly available in my markets.

Chervil is one of those super delicate herbs. I'm surprised you can't grow it between the city (too cool, not enough sun?) and the country (too hot, too much sun?).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

6 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I have to make green goddess. I’d also like to make a true Caesar salad but with grilled romaine. I miss the days of tableside Caesar salads. 

I think we paid about $9K five or so years ago. I recall a big variation in price depending on the installer.  Now might be a pricier time, in the wake of whatever this storm was called.

12 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Chervil is one of those super delicate herbs. I'm surprised you can't grow it between the city (too cool, not enough sun?) and the country (too hot, too much sun?).

You nailed it.    But thanks for the nudge.   I should/will plant some seeds in our front entrance herb garden which get fair sun and is on automatic water.  

eGullet member #80.

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I find it acts like cilantro. A pain. I usually buy it for super cheap at Mexican or Middle Eastern market

Just now, heidih said:

I find it acts like cilantro. A pain. I usually buy it for super cheap at Mexican or Middle Eastern market

Most of my greens garden is in constant state of "bolt"     I just cut off the flowering stalks and they keep going for years.    Chard, sorrel, parsley, and of course chives.    Sorrel patch is easily 15 years old, parsley 10.    Chard is near the end of its run at around 5.   

eGullet member #80.

16 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Most of my greens garden is in constant state of "bolt"     I just cut off the flowering stalks and they keep going for years.    Chard, sorrel, parsley, and of course chives.    Sorrel patch is easily 15 years old, parsley 10.    Chard is near the end of its run at around 5.   

And in the "no waste" era you tempura batter and fry the flowers ;)

22 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Now THAT is a concept!

I have mentioned before that many years later the neighborhood kids I run into still refer to me as "Mrs. K who made those great fried flowers for us".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1