• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Help Finding Vintage Tableware

fondue

Hello everyone, good news!  I have a nice problem to have: We're coming back to the States in a few weeks, and buying our first home together.  Austin, TX area looks like the destination.

I'm looking for multiple sets of tableware.  I'm looking for special occasion formal dinners, family breakfasts, and everyday use ecclectic/vintage.

I vaguely remember this topic about Tableware Lust, in 2005 (I've been a longtime lurker), but. researching the Refrigerator, I was unable to find a reference to a vaguely-remembered place in the Midwest.  They sold tableware from restaurants that had closed?  I have time and inclination to do a road trip.  If anyone knows this place, I'm going - and I'll post pictures!

• Like 2

Congrats on near Austin - I have friends near there. I had to laugh because my always by the rules stepmother acknowledged today that not everything has to match and mixing it up can be fun. A woman who still puts chargers out I swear just to make me crazy. I adore my mix of plates often from thrift stores as well as beautiful glasses. I am picky on cutlery so I go plain and easy to hold.

• Thanks 1

How terrific that you're coming back to the States - and I'm thrilled that it will be near Austin! May give us a chance to meet up some time, after the pandemic has been sorted.

This place isn't in the Midwest, but could you be thinking of Replacements, Ltd? Even if you don't go the road trip route, they're a pretty good source when you know what you're after.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I found an old topic titled Who else has tableware lust? in which @moosnsqrl said, "Whatever you do, don't stop at hobbs in Lawrence on your way to KC".... Is this the topic you were remembering? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I just like a eclectic mix of stuff from Thrift stores/estate sales/rummage sales.   It's fun to search and find.  To me, each piece can have a story or mysterious origin.   I don't think I have a full set of matching anything anymore.

I do have a vintage Nambe habit (addiction) though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I just like a eclectic mix of stuff from Thrift stores/estate sales/rummage sales.   It's fun to search and find.  To me, each piece can have a story or mysterious origin.   I don't think I have a full set of matching anything anymore.

I do have a vintage Nambe habit (addiction) though.

Just Googled "vintage nambe." Wow! Really nice, classic, modern-looking stuff.