• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Joe Wood

Joe Wood

On 8/2/2020 at 5:21 PM, Joe Wood said:

Hello to all... At this stage of my dry salami making I'm afraid I have more questions than I'm entitled to. However any help I receive will be most appreciated.

1.   I followed directions on the 5 lb. batch as well as I was able... Three weeks into this I have achieved about 43% reduction in weight on all links. I use a wine fridge to cure.. My neighbor took one link home at the same time and just "hung it in his refrigerator" with no special settings for humidity or temperature... This one came out IDENTICAL to all the rest in appearance and weight reduction of 43%. How can this be?

2.   I put the left over Mold 600 in a bowl in with the drying salami links. Is this good or not good ?

3.   Now  that desired weight has been achieved is further aging beneficial?

Thanks so much for offering a site like this... All the best to all of you...

Joe Wood

3WEEK SALAMI 1.jpg

3 WEEK SALAMI 2.jpg

Below is a picture of my second batch of hard salami... This is the batch where I hand diced the 20% fat to achieve more definition... Not my idea... I saw it on line but kinda like it...1034737137_SALAMIBATCHII2.thumb.jpg.7d77bb39e529f6708ac719d5d912df31.jpg

Joe Wood

Joe Wood

On 8/2/2020 at 5:21 PM, Joe Wood said:

Hello to all... At this stage of my dry salami making I'm afraid I have more questions than I'm entitled to. However any help I receive will be most appreciated.

1.   I followed directions on the 5 lb. batch as well as I was able... Three weeks into this I have achieved about 43% reduction in weight on all links. I use a wine fridge to cure.. My neighbor took one link home at the same time and just "hung it in his refrigerator" with no special settings for humidity or temperature... This one came out IDENTICAL to all the rest in appearance and weight reduction of 43%. How can this be?

2.   I put the left over Mold 600 in a bowl in with the drying salami links. Is this good or not good ?

3.   Now  that desired weight has been achieved is further aging beneficial?

Thanks so much for offering a site like this... All the best to all of you...

Joe Wood

3WEEK SALAMI 1.jpg

3 WEEK SALAMI 2.jpg

Below is a picture of my second batch of hard salami... This is the batcg where I hand diced the 20% fat to achieve more definition... Not my idea... Aw it on line1034737137_SALAMIBATCHII2.thumb.jpg.7d77bb39e529f6708ac719d5d912df31.jpg