• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

itty bitty teeny tiny pie making

jedovaty

Hi!

I harvested a massive bumper crop of four blueberries.  As an inside joke, I'd like to make pie with them.  I have left over pie dough and a small ceramic dish used for salt or oil.  I think I can bake in it.  I've got almost no pie making experience having baked a whopping total of 4 pies my entire life (apple and cherry last year which were mediocre, and cherry and blueberry (from costco) this year which were pretty good). 

Should I line the dish with foil/parchment to make it easier to remove/eat the pie-lette?  Would it be best to bake the base separate from the filling or can I bake them together?  Better off with a lower temp like 350F, or go to something more customary, ~400F?

Thank you for your help in sustaining this inside joke 😁

• Haha 2

Personally I would bake a light crust. Take out.  Maybe line with an almond creme or the like. and put your pretties on top. To taste the berries - not too much additional like a glaze or anything. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jedovaty said:

Hi!

I harvested a massive bumper crop of four blueberries. 

Three more than what I got this year.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

And no, you shouldn't have to line the pan with parchment, the fat in the crust keeps it from sticking.

I'm at 50% success rate: last year, the apple pie stuck, it was in a large diameter glass pie plate.  This year the blueberry pie stuck, it was in the smaller W&S branded usa pan silicon non stick.  I ended up scratching the non-stick plate in several places from the blueberry pie trying to get at it :(  That's the reason I want to use the parchment or foil, since this is going to be a super tiny itsy bitsy smol pie - 2" diameter.

12 hours ago, heidih said:

Personally I would bake a light crust. Take out.  Maybe line with an almond creme or the like. and put your pretties on top. To taste the berries - not too much additional like a glaze or anything. 

That's a great idea!  Calling them pretties hahaha yes!  But as far as focusing on their taste I dunno.. the two I had a couple weeks earlier were bitter and tart, like one of my ex gfs 🙊  The internet told me to keep the plants from flowering their first year, so I did, but missed a few.  I do regret listening to the all-knowing internet sometimes.

Hhmm. Pan lining- unless using the Martha Stewart touted no stick foil I'd go old-school parchment round. Butter pan first to help it stick and not buckle. Not sure where you are. Here in Los Angeles my friends have had tasty success with plants from one of our largest plant nurseries  https://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/2823/bountiful-blue-blueberry/

• Thanks 1

Once you have your crust baked, and removed successfully from the pan, you could make an Itty bitty teeny tiny batch of lemon curd, put that in your little pie crust and then decorate the top with your four blueberries.

• Like 3

The little non-stick mini tart pans I have a dozen or so of would be the perfect size for a 4 blueberry pie but I suppose that helps you not at all. :D

On 7/29/2020 at 7:56 PM, jedovaty said:

I harvested a massive bumper crop of four blueberries.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:04 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Three more than what I got this year.

On 7/29/2020 at 10:29 PM, pastrygirl said:

My two were delicious!

At this point, mentioning that the blueberries are insane here this year feels kinda mean. :P I haven't gone picking yet and may not but people are going out for 2 or 3 hours and coming back with several 4 liter pails full.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.