Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
shain

Cinnamon flavor extract

Recommended Posts

I don't eat much sweet cereal, but I do have a soft spot for cinnamon toast crunch (or at least our local version of it) - I like eating it as tiny cookies on rare occasions. Anyway, it definitely doesn't taste like it has only real cinnamon (of any kind) to me. I find it a little fruity, with flavors I associate with esters (artificial banana, clove, bubble gum), which makes me assume it contains ethyl cinnamate.

Does anyone here have experience with using cinnamon extract? If so, do you think that it has the fruity, slightly artificial in a good way, flavor I'm after?


~ Shai N.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

I only use cinnamon oil when I want to add cinnamon flavor to baked goods or confections. I buy mine at my local Indian market.

 

Would you describe it as tasting different than cinnamon powder? And when will you choose it over powder in baked goods? Or do you use both together?

Thanks!


~ Shai N.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, shain said:

 

Would you describe it as tasting different than cinnamon powder? And when will you choose it over powder in baked goods? Or do you use both together?

Thanks!

 

Well this should be an interesting and informative answer from a science geek - in the best way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently shopped for cinnamon oil to make some xylitol candy. My girlfriend had bought some, it was really cool, but also way too expensive ... so we decided to make our own. 

 

The health food store had real cinnamon oil and and also "cinnamon" cassia oil. I know that cassia isn't the real stuff, and probably isn't as good ... but I'm under the impression that cassia is what they pass off on us as cinnamon most of the time, and it cost less than a third what they wanted for the real cinnamon ($8 vs $26—and this project was all about being a cheapskate). 

 

I wish I could do a side-by-side comparison. The cassia oil isn't bad, but it's kind of weird. It tastes like there are lot of other flavors going on, as Shain describes. And not in a way I find deliciously complex, like with chocolate or coffee. We're eating all the candy. But each bite is definitely more "interesting" than irresistible. 

  • Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

I recently shopped for cinnamon oil to make some xylitol candy. My girlfriend had bought some, it was really cool, but also way too expensive ... so we decided to make our own. 

 

The health food store had real cinnamon oil and and also "cinnamon" cassia oil. I know that cassia isn't the real stuff, and probably isn't as good ... but I'm under the impression that cassia is what they pass off on us as cinnamon most of the time, and it cost less than a third what they wanted for the real cinnamon ($8 vs $26—and this project was all about being a cheapskate). 

 

I wish I could do a side-by-side comparison. The cassia oil isn't bad, but it's kind of weird. It tastes like there are lot of other flavors going on, as Shain describes. And not in a way I find deliciously complex, like with chocolate or coffee. We're eating all the candy. But each bite is definitely more "interesting" than irresistible. 

 

Interesting I usually buy the cheap stuff so when i bought the Vietnamese at Penzeys it was almost too subtle - but my palate is not very sophisticated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, heidih said:

 

Interesting I usually buy the cheap stuff so when i bought the Vietnamese at Penzeys it was almost too subtle - but my palate is not very sophisticated.

 

They have cinnamon oil?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

They have cinnamon oil?

 

Sorry no the powder. I type and post before I think...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 2:54 PM, shain said:

 

Would you describe it as tasting different than cinnamon powder? And when will you choose it over powder in baked goods? Or do you use both together?

Thanks!

I DESPISE cinnamon powder. If any of my cooks use cinnamon powder it's a fast track to the back door! Maybe a tad overdramatic, but seriously, it's not allowed in my kitchen. It takes like tree bark in any applications - even steeped - to me. And there's a good reason why it tastes like that I suppose. And yes, I've explored Mexican cinnamon, Indian cinnamon, Sri Lankan cinnamon...they vary in quality, but the overall impact on my mouth is the same.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my I am such a taste goof. Probably why I enjoy bitter as well. Bring on the bitter melon and do not pre-salt and squeeze the cukes or eggplant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gfron1 said:

I DESPISE cinnamon powder. If any of my cooks use cinnamon powder it's a fast track to the back door! Maybe a tad overdramatic, but seriously, it's not allowed in my kitchen. It takes like tree bark in any applications - even steeped - to me. And there's a good reason why it tastes like that I suppose. And yes, I've explored Mexican cinnamon, Indian cinnamon, Sri Lankan cinnamon...they vary in quality, but the overall impact on my mouth is the same.

 

That's interesting. What about cinnamon stick? 

 

And ... might it like tree bark because it IS tree bark?


Notes from the underbelly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, paulraphael said:

 

That's interesting. What about cinnamon stick? 

 

And ... might it like tree bark because it IS tree bark?

That was the joke...at least I thought it was funny.

 

Cinnamon sticks are different, but only for steeping, not for grating. And depending on the stick sometimes I'll give it a good rinse before I start using it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...