• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP member pierogi

heidih

We lost long time member Roberta @Pierogi Wednesday night to complications from Covid-19. She battled RA and the associated strong drug complications. Despite the disabling effects she continued to cook, enjoy Monet and Chihuly every day, and cheer on her Dodgers with her precious pups. She was a  brilliant and kind science geek who got a kick out of writing research guidelines and with strong opinions about the sad ways of mankind. The New Yorker yesterday re-posted a humor piece on Monet's journal as he was painting his famous wheat stalks and I'd typed an email to forward it before I realized it was not possible. 

Here is the link to her eG food blog.   https://forums.egullet.org/topic/137499-eg-foodblog-pierogi-2011-rollin-the-bon-temps-on-the-left-co/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 17

I am about halfway through Pierogi's foodblog and remembering just how funny and energetic she was despite the RA that plagued her even then. Now I want to make comments on the blog, or at least post "reactions" (which the software didn't allow back then) and of course either would be useless. Thank you, Heidi, for posting the link. As I look back through the blog, I keep seeing cookbooks we have / had in common, and inspiring posts. I don't see making pierogies any time soon, but the next time I consider it I'll remember her tutorial. Or her tutorial on short ribs. Or her tutorial on the treatment for Polish sauerkraut, which is different from the way we usually treat it at home.

I've missed her voice for a long while, but always hoped we'd be seeing her back. I'm sorry we won't.

Rest in Peace, Roberta. Thanks for the laughs.

• Like 9

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

When I saw this on FB last night, I was just devastated.  She was so funny and kind and fierce.  We shared so much - food, Monet, Chihuly, animals.  She never did convince me to love baseball, though!  I will miss her so much and am planning to settle in later tonight and re-read her food blog.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

When I saw this on FB last night, I was just devastated.  She was so funny and kind and fierce.  We shared so much - food, Monet, Chihuly, animals.  She never did convince me to love baseball, though!  I will miss her so much and am planning to settle in later tonight and re-read her food blog.  

How is the level in your kleenex box if you are gonna read the blog and wish you could interact?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Teeth said:

She could write.   And argue.   And cook.

The world is a poorer place without her.

RIP

I think there are political figures she would and may throttle from the grave  ;) Multi-dimensional world?

• Like 3

Just finished reading her food blog.  I didn't want it to end.  It was truly "in her voice".  At the end of it, when she expresses what eG members have meant to her and how they changed her, I was so touched and shared those feelings of appreciation.  I will miss her a lot.  

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 7/26/2020 at 10:02 PM, gfweb said:

We'd interact on facebook after she left eG. Gentle person. Loved her dogs and her Dodgers.

And how much does it blow she didn't get to see the Dodgers win?  Fng covid!

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Today was her birthday.  Someone who was obviously a dear friend wrote this on FB:

"One year ago today, we were talking on the phone and planning your escape from Shady Acres. You were healing and your p/t was going so well. You were excited to get to see your girlz again.
I remember our conversations about what comes next after life here on this earth. Maybe you had a premonition of what was right around the corner for you. I remember that you weren't so sure about God, Jesus and heaven and you told me you wished you had my faith. I remember telling you that there would come a time when you stand before God and you would know without a doubt that he is real. That he is love. That you are invited to join him in paradise.
I didn't know that would be our last conversation. But I am glad I got to talk to you about God. I'm thankful I got to tell you again how much I love you. So here we are a year later and you've been walking with God for almost all of it. I am so happy for you! I celebrate your victory. I cherish the 30 something years of having you here with me as my best friend and I look forward to the day I get to be with you again. Until my time comes, know that I love you long time. Jubits
P.S. I hope somebody made you a chocolate cheesecake and I'm sure that Tia made you pierogis or lasagna or both! Can you get chili cheese carne asada fries there? haha Oh how I miss you ❤"
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Of course she came to mind with the death of Vin Scully. If you believe in "up there" sure she is chatting away with him about those Dodgers

• Like 3