• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Chinese noodles vs store bought?

16 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Just bought these. Fresh rice noodles. 0.80元 / 240 grams. That is 11 cents USD. Why would anyone want to make their own?

Wow, that's incredibly cheap. I can understand why buying would be the first option at that price. I'm sure I'll be buying some here as well, but probably at least 10x that price. Still cheap, but not incredibly cheap.

The reason I want to make my own is just because I like learning new things and skills.

Lately I've been fascinated by China's food and its incredibly long, contiguous history. Prior to this, when noodles came to mind I'd automatically think about ramen or pasta. Yet, as it turns out, pasta was only introduced to the western world in the 1300s and ramen to Japan in the 1800s, with the dish only picking up in popularity in the 1900s. Meanwhile, the oldest physical noodle found in China is 4,000 years old! Who knows how much older the actual practice is. Incredibly fascinating. 

I just wish China and its people were more integrated with the outside world so that everyone could enjoy its offerings more easily, but I guess their government has other plans. Kind of a shame. Prior to this, I also didn't have as well a grasp on how large the country is, as well as the amount of variance among its residents. 

Also, I suppose the sheer difference between what I'm used to in the US and China makes it a lot more interesting for me as well.

Edited by wannabechocolatier (log)
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 9:13 AM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I am lucky to live 5 minutes from San Francisco’s second Chinatown.

Where is San Francisco’s second Chinatown?  Are you talking about Stockton vs Grant?  I always prefer Stockton, but curious if there’s someplace even better. 

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

11 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Where is San Francisco’s second Chinatown?  Are you talking about Stockton vs Grant?  I always prefer Stockton, but curious if there’s someplace even better. 

Clement Street in the Richmond District?

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Clement St which is a 15 minute one bus ride from Grant and.Stockton @ Sacramento St.   Three generations ago the young people moved west to this neighborhood which was very simple for their parents to access.

Subsequent generations have located south on outer Bslboa, Irving,  Noriega and Taraval, all a bus ride away from Clement St.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

5 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Clement St which is a 15 minute one bus ride from Grant and.Stockton @ Sacramento St.   Three generations ago the young people moved west to this neighborhood which was very simple for their parents to access.

Subsequent generations have located south on outer Bslboa, Irving,  Noriega and Taraval, all a bus ride away from Clement St.

Between Arguello and 25th St?

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

3 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Between Arguello and 25th St?

Exactly, almost.    25th Avenue.    And a bus runs on 25th Avenue connecting Clement (actually The Golden Gate Bridge) and the "new" Asian areas (Balboa, Irving, Noriega, Taraval).

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

When I first moved to the Bay Area I lived just off Clement. I have no idea what it's like these days, although those restaurants that specialized in Dungeness Crab are still going strong I think, but in those days (the late 70's) there was a bountiful mix of Chinese and Russian Orthodox restaurants and groceries. My next move in SF was to the border of the Stockton/Grant Chinatown. I lived right over the cable car tracks. I ate a LOT of Chinese food.

When I moved across the bridge to Oakland I had to drive to Oakland Chinatown for supplies. Been doing that since the mid-80's and have my routine down: my favorite groceries, the place I get my roast duck, the place for live crab, the best pork buns, the best fresh noodles, and so on. I am still on strict self imposed lockdown, so things are different now. No duck. No street food. Just the basics for stir fry. The thing I miss most is the variety of fresh noodles: three different thicknesses of potsticker or wonton wrappers and all sizes of fresh extruded wheat noodles. And no, I'm not about to make my own noodles or skins. That ship has sailed. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 5:25 AM, liuzhou said:

It's OK as it goes and would be reasonably tasty,  but would never pass muster in Xi'an. Anyway, as said above it's not a dish people make at home.

And even in Xi'an it's mainly for the tourists.

I love to make this at home, and have personally introduced the technique to many friends (and their friends) at their homes. They now share the technique with others. It doesn't take that long to do and everyone truly has fun making it and eating it.

On 7/28/2020 at 8:22 AM, Katie Meadow said:

When I first moved to the Bay Area I lived just off Clement. I have no idea what it's like these days, although those restaurants that specialized in Dungeness Crab are still going strong I think, but in those days (the late 70's) there was a bountiful mix of Chinese and Russian Orthodox restaurants and groceries. My next move in SF was to the border of the Stockton/Grant Chinatown. I lived right over the cable car tracks. I ate a LOT of Chinese food.

When I moved across the bridge to Oakland I had to drive to Oakland Chinatown for supplies. Been doing that since the mid-80's and have my routine down: my favorite groceries, the place I get my roast duck, the place for live crab, the best pork buns, the best fresh noodles, and so on. I am still on strict self imposed lockdown, so things are different now. No duck. No street food. Just the basics for stir fry. The thing I miss most is the variety of fresh noodles: three different thicknesses of potsticker or wonton wrappers and all sizes of fresh extruded wheat noodles. And no, I'm not about to make my own noodles or skins. That ship has sailed. 

Where do/did you find your live crab Katie?

1 hour ago, mudbug said:

Where do/did you find your live crab Katie?

Oakland Chinatown. There is a fish market on 8th st between Franklin and Webster that had good prices and live crab tanks. It is a couple of doors down from a good Chinese pastry place. I confess that I have not bought live crabs for several years. The local crab season here has been in big trouble for a while, and the price of crab is high during the season, if indeed there is a season. And in addition to that, I also admit that I have become quite squeamish in my old age and the idea of dropping a live critter into boiling water gives me the willies.

Yuen Hop is the noodle factory and large store. That's on Webster between 8th and 9th. Sometimes their noodles can be found at Berkeley Bowl and Tokyo Market, but not reliably. All their extruded fresh wheat noodles and wonton and dumpling wrappers are excellent and come in a great variety of sizes and thicknesses.

For roast duck to-go I like  Best Taste on Franklin. I haven't tried any other places for whole or half a duck in years, but there are so many places  that could easily be good. Also on Franklin is Tian Jin, the dumpling window. Decent dumplings and sweet little walk-up window. If you don't make your own dumplings it's an option. Mine are better!

8 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Oakland Chinatown. There is a fish market on 8th st between Franklin and Webster that had good prices and live crab tanks. It is a couple of doors down from a good Chinese pastry place. I confess that I have not bought live crabs for several years. The local crab season here has been in big trouble for a while, and the price of crab is high during the season, if indeed there is a season. And in addition to that, I also admit that I have become quite squeamish in my old age and the idea of dropping a live critter into boiling water gives me the willies.

No local rock crab types that are always around and not protected by a season  and are kinda cheap? 

5 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Yuen Hop is the noodle factory and large store. That's on Webster between 8th and 9th. Sometimes their noodles can be found at Berkeley Bowl and Tokyo Market, but not reliably. All their extruded fresh wheat noodles and wonton and dumpling wrappers are excellent and come in a great variety of sizes and thicknesses.

For roast duck to-go I like  Best Taste on Franklin. I haven't tried any other places for whole or half a duck in years, but there are so many places  that could easily be good. Also on Franklin is Tian Jin, the dumpling window. Decent dumplings and sweet little walk-up window. If you don't make your own dumplings it's an option. Mine are better!

Ah, wonderful! Thank you. I'll save this for next time I'm in Oakland and make the rounds. I hear you on the live crab. "Here's an old trick: Put the crab in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. This does not freeze it, or affect the quality, but it does put it in a sleep/dormant/numb state, so that there is no kicking when you put it in the boiling water."

I'd love to try your dumplings sometime. ; )

57 minutes ago, mudbug said:

Ah, wonderful! Thank you. I'll save this for next time I'm in Oakland and make the rounds. I hear you on the live crab. "Here's an old trick: Put the crab in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. This does not freeze it, or affect the quality, but it does put it in a sleep/dormant/numb state, so that there is no kicking when you put it in the boiling water."

I'd love to try your dumplings sometime. ; )

That's exactly what I used to do. I'm beyond that now.