• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

wannabechocolatier

wannabechocolatier

16 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Just bought these. Fresh rice noodles. 0.80元 / 240 grams. That is 11 cents USD. Why would anyone want to make their own?

Wow, that's incredibly cheap. I can understand why buying would be the first option at that price. I'm sure I'll be buying some here as well, but probably at least 10x that price. Still cheap, but not incredibly cheap.

The reason I want to make my own is just because I like learning new things and skills.

Lately I've been fascinated by China's food and its incredibly long, contiguous history. Prior to this, when noodles came to mind I'd automatically think about ramen or pasta. Yet, as it turns out, pasta was only introduced to the western world in the 1300s and ramen to Japan in the 1800s, with the dish only picking up in popularity in the 1900s. Meanwhile, the oldest physical noodle found in China is 4,000 years old! Who knows how much older the actual practice is. Incredibly fascinating. 

I just wish China and its people were more integrated with the outside world so that everyone could enjoy its offerings more easily, but I guess their government has other plans. Kind of a shame. Prior to this, I also didn't have as well a grasp on how large the country is, as well as the amount of variance among its residents. 

Also, I suppose the sheer difference between what I'm used to in the US and China makes it a lot more interesting for me as well.

wannabechocolatier

wannabechocolatier

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Just bought these. Fresh rice noodles. 0.80元 / 240 grams. That is 11 cents USD. Why would anyone want to make their own?

Wow, that's incredibly cheap.

The reason I want to make my own is just because I like learning new things and skills.

Lately I've been fascinated by China's food and its incredibly long, contiguous history. Prior to this, when noodles came to mind I'd automatically think about ramen or pasta. Yet, as it turns out, pasta was only introduced to the western world in the 1300s and ramen to Japan in the 1800s, with the dish only picking up in popularity in the 1900s. Meanwhile, the oldest physical noodle found in China is 4,000 years old! Who knows how much older the actual practice is. Incredibly fascinating. 

I just wish China and its people were more integrated with the outside world so that everyone could enjoy its offerings more easily, but I guess their government has other plans. Kind of a shame. Prior to this, I also didn't have as well a grasp on how large the country is, as well as the amount of variance among its residents. 

Also, I suppose the sheer difference between what I'm used to in the US and China makes it a lot more interesting for me as well.