• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boullion powders and cubes

heidih

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have some.  I used it once and found it so heavy on the salt i haven't used it since.

Yes, it's very salty which is the reason I don't use it either.  The green "premium" version (it's like $1 more) is not nearly as salty.  In fact, when I use it, I still have to add basically the normal amount of salt I'd use without it.

• Thanks 1

When I use any of those chicken powders I don't usually use regular salt. But I am usually also adding soy or fish sauce, Still I don't pay attention to sodium on label. Tasting is key. Plus country of origin has different rules on dietary labeling, I am forever frustrated when people do not realize that in US it is percentage of daily suggested of the labelked serving size. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lindag said:

Anyone tried this stuff?

I just ordered some.

I've never liked Lee Kum Kee brand of anything. All over salty and dripping with additives.

I've recently started using this brand of chicken powder. Very few added preservatives or added chemical flavourings.

chickenpowder.thumb.jpg.935060c1417eabf089b300ae1b088d53.jpg

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

40 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I've never liked Lee Kum Kee brand of anything. All over salty and dripping with additives.

I've recently started using this brand of chicken powder. Very few added preservatives or added chemical flavourings.

chickenpowder.thumb.jpg.935060c1417eabf089b300ae1b088d53.jpg

I'm curious - what is the salt content?

36 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'm curious - what is the salt content?

Unfortunately they don't list that information, but it does taste to me as being less salty than others.

25 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How about beef?

It contains bovine beef marrow powder.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Unfortunately they don't list that information, but it does taste to me as being less salty than others.

@ElsieD

I managed to find  the information. It contains 23 grams of sodium in 100g. That may sound a lot, but as @KennethThas said, in SE Asia and here in China, only a teaspoon (approx 2 g) or less is usually added to dishes.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

@ElsieD

I managed to find  the information. It contains 23 grams of sodium in 100g. That may sound a lot, but as @KennethThas said, in SE Asia and here in China, only a teaspoon (approx 2 g) or less is usually added to dishes.

Thank you for checking.  The LKK that I have lists 810 mg of sodium per 5 gm which, unless my arithmetic is faulty, works out to 16.2 gms in 100 gms. of the powder, so somewhat less sodium than yours.  I'm not salt-averse but the powder I have is too salty for my taste.

58 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you for checking.  The LKK that I have lists 810 mg of sodium per 5 gm which, unless my arithmetic is faulty, works out to 16.2 gms in 100 gms. of the powder, so somewhat less sodium than yours.  I'm not salt-averse but the powder I have is too salty for my taste.

OK. But sodium levels are not the only factor. And the difference between 16.2 against 23 is, I think, negligible in a 2 gram serving.

19 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

OK. But sodium levels are not the only factor. And the difference between 16.2 against 23 is, I think, negligible in a 2 gram serving.

Agreed.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 9:10 AM, liuzhou said:

@ElsieD

It is a lot … given that sodium is just ~40% of the salt „weight“ that’s about 60g salt/100g stock powder. It’s seasoned salt 🤗

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I like this product … no salt, except what’s in the veggies/meat it is made of. No MSG either, so you need to add both later 😝

IMG_9199.thumb.jpeg.af39bffccb38e0c855b08d707601ac60.jpeg

I'd like it too but I have never seen it here.  Amazon carries some salt-free bullion but it's about $30 plus or 75 grams.

• Like 1

Just now, ElsieD said:

I'd like it too but I have never seen it here.  Amazon carries some salt-free bullion but it's about $30 plus or 75 grams.

I should open a online export shop … here it is ~3€ per 80g.

• Confused 1

@Duvel 

CR*P ! 

you've helped me down the Whiskey Trail 

[ed.: BTW Ive just had the last seasonal drop of the 10403057.jpg.0c613e6d6e80b7a7daaaba9a4bb2555b.jpg]

and I thank you for that insight . As MC had no interest  I might have tried to lick out the last drop

out of that bottle ,but there is no proof of that anywhere 

but .....  some thing you would use , saltless ?

always good to know.

next Fall , when its rainy and cold ....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2701582/

Ill re-supply.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

According to my search these (there are a number of flavours) are available at Fortinos for I believe $7.99 for 160 gms. I am sure if I can find them then they must be available in some Ottawa area supermarkets also. 

edited to add that it looks like Real Canadian Superstore carries them.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

According to my search these (there are a number of flavours) are available at Fortinos for I believe $7.99 for 160 gms. I am sure if I can find them then they must be available in some Ottawa area supermarkets also. 

edited to add that it looks like Real Canadian Superstore carries them.

You are so right.  I had never noticed them at Loblaws, possibly because I stopped using the powder/blocks in favour of Best for Bullion and Savory Choice so wasn't browsing in that area.  It is now on my grocery list.  It was interesting to me that Fortino's, part of the Loblaws group charges a buck more per bottle.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N. Now that I think about it, the $8.99 ptice might be a delivery price?  Also, i forgot to thank you for finding that the product is indeed available here.

Fortinos is not the cheapest place! No worries about thanking me. I was curious myself to see if it was available.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog