• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brownie Brittle-- Anyone have a good recipe?

cookman

I am not a fan of brownies although I did bake them often for others. However, the idea of a crispy brownie calls out to me. I have never heard of these. Will be following with interest. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A2B7E419-8160-4ACB-A5A2-94BBCE8E0DF4.thumb.jpeg.1a696b924837921922cf8c1103670ff8.jpeg

I couldn’t resist but I should have!  Yes, truly addictive. I sort of used this recipe. I only had black cocoa powder so that is what I used and I thought I had some Skor bits in my baking cupboard but I could not find them. So I sacrificed my last bar and crushed it up. One batch got some Skor bits and some chocolate chips and the other batch got Skor bits, chocolate chips and some butter scotch chips.  I baked them on two quarter sheet pans in the  Breville smart oven at 350° for only 30 minutes and they are plenty crispy. This Is only half of the batch. According to the recipe writer these will last 10 days in an air tight container.  In who’s house I wonder?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am not a fan of brownies although I did bake them often for others. However, the idea of a crispy brownie calls out to me. I have never heard of these. Will be following with interest. 

@Anna N , Brownie Brittle (click) is a popular item since Costco started carrying it. They are addicting!

Edited by Toliver
to add name link (log)
  • Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

31 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Brownie Brittle (click) is a popular item since Costco started carrying it. They are addicting!

No kidding they are addicting. I ate so many I feel quite ill and I should know better! Hopefully somebody will take them off my hands soon. These are homemade.  I have not tried the Costco brand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Looking over the KA Flour recipe I'm not sure how different this is from cookies. Couldn't you use the batter and make cookies? To those who have made them, tell me how this is different or why it wouldn't work. 

57 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

how this is different or why it wouldn't work

The recipe is similar to cookie batter with a couple differences I noted  1. It uses only egg whites (most of my cookie recipes use whole eggs or even whole eggs plus yolks). 2. The batter is thinner than cookie dough, more like a cross between cookie dough and cake batter.