• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

changed sissy to wimp in case that is less offensive

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Can you be more specific or offer more instruction?    

I had a michigan sauce recipe but can't seem to find that old recipe box.  If I do, I'll add it here. 

It's basically a well seasoned, but not particularly spicy, meaty, but not particularly saucy ground beef sauce.  This one seems pretty close, especially the step of initially cooking the meat with some liquid to ensure a very fine texture.  I recall the use of 3-4 T of chili powder.

Ideally, the hot dog should be one of the snappy red ones from Glazier Packing company.  The bun should be a split-top hot dog roll, although those are hard to come by these days, they do provide the best support for the contents. The bun should be lightly steamed.

The only condiments are a stripe of yellow mustard and fresh chopped onions.   

The onions are optional so if you're visiting a michigan stand, you order your michigan "with" for chopped onions on top of the sauce, "without" for no onions or "buried" for chopped onions underneath.   The latter is my preference as the warm bun, dog and sauce mellow out the rawness of the onion.  You may request extra hot sauce but do not ask for ketchup or relish. That would be gauche.

Ice cold beer is the appropriate beverage, preferably Labatt Blue.  None of that Blue Light stuff unless you are a sissy wimp 🤣

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

36 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Can you be more specific or offer more instruction?    

I had a michigan sauce recipe but can't seem to find that old recipe box.  If I do, I'll add it here. 

It's basically a well seasoned, but not particularly spicy, meaty, but not particularly saucy ground beef sauce.  This one seems pretty close, especially the step of initially cooking the meat with some liquid to ensure a very fine texture.  I recall the use of 3-4 T of chili powder.

Ideally, the hot dog should be one of the snappy red ones from Glazier Packing company.  The bun should be a split-top hot dog roll, although those are hard to come by these days, they do provide the best support for the contents. The bun should be lightly steamed.

The only condiments are a stripe of yellow mustard and fresh chopped onions.   

The onions are optional so if you're visiting a michigan stand, you order your michigan "with" for chopped onions on top of the sauce, "without" for no onions or "buried" for chopped onions underneath.   The latter is my preference as the warm bun, dog and sauce mellow out the rawness of the onion.  You may request extra hot sauce but do not ask for ketchup or relish. That would be gauche.

Ice cold beer is the appropriate beverage, preferably Labatt Blue.  None of that Blue Light stuff unless you are a sissy 🤣