• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Orange Julius was something I took for granted growing up in NY. Wow, it certainly hijacked this thread. As soon as I polish off the strawberry milk I made yesterday I'm going to add frozen o.j. to the shopping list. My husband already thinks I am insane. He's really getting sick of strawberry milk and, as a native California boy I suspect he hasn't a clue about what's coming next.

This pandemic is one wild ride, neh? I started quarantine with a burst of cooking and now, well, I'm just making the same ten things over and over again. Until I find a new thing, and it goes into the bizarre rotation.

Depends on his age.    Roadside Orange Julius stands in the '40s-50s in California were shaped and colored like huge oranges.      Giant oranges were a fad, some selling orange juice, some Orange Julius and some Orange Julips.   Orange Julius were something that always sounded good on a long hot drive before car AC, but actually they were VERY sweet and left you with a cloying still=thirsty mouth feel.    Until you fell for them the next time.     I seem to remember a revival later in the century and that they sold a mix to add to orange juice...that was still very sweet.    It seems that Dairy Queen bought the name/rights to make them.

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Orange Julius was something I took for granted growing up in NY. Wow, it certainly hijacked this thread. As soon as I polish off the strawberry milk I made yesterday I'm going to add frozen o.j. to the shopping list. My husband already thinks I am insane. He's really getting sick of strawberry milk and, as a native California boy I suspect he hasn't a clue about what's coming next.

This pandemic is one wild ride, neh? I started quarantine with a burst of cooking and now, well, I'm just making the same ten things over and over again. Until I find a new thing, and it goes into the bizarre rotation.

Depends on his age.    Roadside range Julius stands in the '40s-50s in California were shaped and colored like huge oranges.      Giant oranges were a fad, some selling orange juice, some Orange Julius and some Orange Julips.   Orange Julius were something that always sounded good on a long hot drive before car AC, but actually they were VERY sweet and left you with a cloying still=thirsty mouth feel.    Until you fell for them the next time.     I seem to remember a revival later in the century and that they sold a mix to add to orange juice...that was still very sweet.    It seems that Dairy Queen bought the name/rights to make them.