• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stock choice - Am I wrong?

Kim Shook

@btbyrd 

thanks   Im really going to have to try this

I bet this is a fine start to excellent FOS.

the onions in the final dish  can be cartelized in a heavy pan in the oven.

now at some point to get the onions and the etc

safely 

do you have a ref to Hestons work ?

i have most of the videos and some of the books.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

I usually make beef stock in a PC but cook the onion components of the soup conventionally (on the stovetop or in the oven). Pressure cooked onions lose a lot of their potency.

I meant the sous vide onions in a pressure cooker, but I see you have already answered.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 7/19/2020 at 4:10 PM, JAZ said:

Here's mine, if you're interested. http://hecooks-shecooks.com/french-onion-soup/. I should note that I don't finish it the way most diners do -- I don't cover the top with cheese and bread and broil it. I just float a cheese crouton on top.

Thanks. I like to use rye or pumpernickle, but I put a layer of shredded cheese on first, then broil till the cheese melts, then i put the bread on, and another sprinkle of shredded cheese and broil again to melt the second layer of cheese and also to give the bread some crunch. Don't end up with soggy bread this way.  

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Delicious 1