• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

12 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

If the amount of onion is critical, I always equate a medium onion to be around 8oz, so half of your average onion is going to be 4oz give or take. But if it is just say for a salad or something, I chop and add until I get to the amount I feel is correct, but in these kinds of situations a little more or less rarely matters to me.

The thing is is the "average" medium onion varies enormously. The average here much larger than I was used to in England, say.

But my use of onion was just an example. Of course, I judge for myself how much onion to include in a dish. The fact remains that half an onion is an unknown quantity, which in a recipe which is microscopically precise about other ingredients becomes absurd.

But my entire post was partly in jest.

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

If the amount of onion is critical, I always equate a medium onion to be around 8oz, so half of your average onion is going to be 4oz give or take. But if it is just say for a salad or something, I chop and add until I get to the amount I feel is correct, but in these kinds of situations a little more or less rarely matters to me.

The thing is is the "average" medium onion varies normally. The average here much larger than I was used to in England, say.antit

But my use of onion was just an example. Of course, I judge for myself how much onion to include in a dish. The fact remains that half an onion is an unknown quantity, which in a recipe which is microscopically precise about other ingredients becomes absurd.

But my entire post was partly in jest.