• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I have a chicken...

Recoil Rob

2 hours ago, Recoil Rob said:

No rotisserie setup. To me rotisserie is a cross between grill and roast. I spatchcock for the grill and truss for the roast.

I'm leaning towards the Canton white, may experiment a little....

To me, a rotisserie is neither - rather, it allows the bird to baste itself as it rotates slowly.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

To me, a rotisserie is neither - rather, it allows the bird to baste itself as it rotates slowly.

Exactly. Forever been trying to tell my fat-phobic father that the fat is not dripping away - it is self basting. At some point ya give up. Huge fan of our  Peruvian chicken places like Pollo ala Brasa  Pollo Ala Brasa - 372 Photos & 409 Reviews - Peruvian - 16527 S ...

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, heidih said:

Sorry. Tough times - And the big chicken can be very stringy and tough ;)

I have experienced exactly this with most older 4lb+ birds, rarely tender and succulent, though flavor is decent. An easy way to use a chicken like this is Vivian Howard's Scarlett's Chicken and Rice, letting the hen stew for a while. It is hard to screw up, and comes out really flavorful though not exactly a summer dish in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

I have experienced exactly this with most older 4lb+ birds, rarely tender and succulent, though flavor is decent. An easy way to use a chicken like this is Vivian Howard's Scarlett's Chicken and Rice, letting the hen stew for a while. It is hard to screw up, and comes out really flavorful though not exactly a summer dish in my opinion.

But I got his spurs and made a necklace which is MIA

• Haha 1

Chickens of about five pounds or more are called stewing chickens--for a reason. I think it is worth looking at the Vivian Howard recipe for Scarlett's Chicken and Rice, cited above by @Yiannos. Personally I would use such a bird to make a rich stock. If you treat it like a fryer or a roaster you will get tough meat and miss out on the benefits of broth.

• Like 1

I just returned from my daily grocery hunt. I made a point of checking out the weight of chickens. They ranged from 1.2 to just under 1.5 kg. That is, I believe, 2lb 10oz to 3lb 5oz.

The only chickens  larger than that were what @Katie Meadowrefers to above, but even these came nowhere near 5lb - just over 4lb. They are old layers which no one would ever use for white cut chicken. It would be inedible. They are sold for making stocks and broth, although most are used industrially to make chicken bouillon and fertilizer.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

13 hours ago, Recoil Rob said:

Looking at your first link it does say "The best chicken to poach for this white cut chicken recipe is a high quality, smaller, free-range chicken."

The image in the second link looks like no white cut chicken I've ever seen in a quarter of century of eating the dish. It doesn't even match the article's descripton. They posted the wrong picture.

cut off the head and neck (if attached) with a cleaver and put at one end of a large platter. (These parts, along with the back and feet, aren't always eaten.)

Nonsense. These are some of the most prized parts.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I don't remember how big the hens were when they got retired from egg-laying duties (to a little kid, all of them looked about the size of ostriches), but that was always an occasion for chicken and dumplings. Which is, btw, a dish I have NEVER been successful in making.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, kayb said:

I don't remember how big the hens were when they got retired from egg-laying duties (to a little kid, all of them looked about the size of ostriches), but that was always an occasion for chicken and dumplings. Which is, btw, a dish I have NEVER been successful in making.

Sounds like a challenge!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 1:17 PM, weinoo said:

But also to anoint baby potatoes nestled below with both juice and fat.    While roast chicken is one of my faves, I lust over these potatoes.  

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

On 7/13/2020 at 3:30 PM, kayb said:

My dumplings always dissolve.

The rough recipe I posted about cow foot soup works for me. 1/2 cup each AP flour, cornmeal, milk (bit of salt + 2tsp baking powder) - gentle dollops, cover, low simmer. Or get a Matzo ball packet and call it "fusion"