• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I have a chicken...

Recoil Rob

Organic, free range from the farm next door. They do about 3 kills a year and we stock up, this one's been thawing in the fridge for 2 days. About 5-6 lbs.

I done spatchcocked on the grill with many different rubs/marinades/herbs, most recently with shio koji, all wonderful.

I've roasted with salt at high heat in the oven ala Keller, again, a splendid meal.

We've butchered into pieces and fried, stewed, sheetpanned, cacciatori'd, oven baked with fruits, eastern spices, western spices, some better than others.

I have smoked chicken, seems a waste of time that would be better spent with a brisket.

Anything I've missed for a summer meal?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

15 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Cantonese white cut chicken.

Hmmm. The recipe I just read says to cool chicken completely in a ice water bath. Is it served cold or at room temperature? Can it be made a day before?

- Errol Flynn

36 minutes ago, Recoil Rob said:

Hmmm. The recipe I just read says to cool chicken completely in a ice water bath. Is it served cold or at room temperature? Can it be made a day before?

I've never seen it cooled in an ice water bath. It is usually served at room temperature. I've only ever had it made on the day it's served.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Seems to me that rather defeats the point. It is normally partially poached, then left to finish in the residual heat of the cooling poaching medium. 

Also, until very recently, few domestic kitchens and many commercial kitchens wouldn't have had the ice for an ice bath. 

Edited by liuzhou (log)

No rotisserie setup. To me rotisserie is a cross between grill and roast. I spatchcock for the grill and truss for the roast.

I'm leaning towards the Canton white, may experiment a little....

- Errol Flynn

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Seems to me that rather defeats ther point. It is normally partially poached, the left to finish in the residual heat of the cooling poaching medium. 

Also, until very recently, few domestic kitchens and many commercial kitchens wouldn't have had the ice for an ice bath. 

I agree, probably a simplified process. How long would you actively poach a 5lb chicken and how long would you let it rest in liquid?

Edited by Recoil Rob (log)

- Errol Flynn

3 minutes ago, Recoil Rob said:

No rotisserie setup. To me rotisserie is a cross between grill and roast. I spatchcock for the grill and truss for the roast.

I'm leaning towards the Canton white, may experiment a little....

Have a look then at Hainanese chicken rice ...

Dan Silverman's chicken with the crouton bed is really good. I up the bread as "a slice" seems scimpy https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-standard-grill-million-dollar-chicken-2145489 or similarly Judy Rodgers Zuni Cafe roast chicken https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015770-zuni-cafe-chicken

Edited by heidih (log)

3 minutes ago, Recoil Rob said:

I agree, probably a simplified process. How long would you actively poach a 5lb chicken and how long would you let it rest in liquid?

I wouldn't know where to find a 5lb chicken. We don't get those artificially fattened birds here. 

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

I note they have explicit frying instructions for Control Freak users. Is there a corporate connection, or simply a big shared chunk of Venn diagram between the two sets of users?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I note they have explicit frying instructions for Control Freak users. Is there a corporate connection, or simply a big shared chunk of Venn diagram between the two sets of users?

Breville purchased Chefsteps over a year ago or so.  So, yeah that's the tie-in, they feature Breville devices in their most recent videos..    I don't have a CF and I make this with my Joule SV and downmarket Burton induction hob, it's a great method for fried chicken.

Okay, I wondered. I thought it was Anova they'd purchased (maybe it was both?).

Either way, I'm sure the Venn diagram applies as well (and that it's a vein they're mining...if customers for my $100-ish product were prime prospects for my $1500-ish product, I'd promote the hell out of it too).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I wouldn't know where to find a 5lb chicken. We don't get those artificially fattened birds here. 

Like I said, free range, organic.

- Errol Flynn

13 minutes ago, Recoil Rob said:

Selective breeding is not artificially fattened. We'll have to disagree but thanks for your input.

I was agreeing not disagreeing. I breed plants - same diff.