• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Recoil Rob

Recoil Rob

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Seems to me that rather defeats ther point. It is normally partially poached, the left to finish in the residual heat of the cooling poaching medium. 

Also, until very recently, few domestic kitchens and many commercial kitchens wouldn't have had the ice for an ice bath. 

I agree, probably a simplified process. How long would you actively poach a 5lb chicken and how long would you let it rest in liquid?

Recoil Rob

Recoil Rob

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

Seems to me that rather defeats ther point. It is normally partially poached, the left to finish in the residual heat of the cooling poaching medium. 

Also, until very recently, few domestic kitchens and many commercial kitchens wouldn't have had the ice for an ice bath. 

I agree, probably an simplified process. How long would you actively poach a 5lb chicken and how long would you let it rest in liquid?