• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easy summery pasta al forno - with tomatoes, mozzarella, garlic and basil

shain

This is a recipe Iv'e been making for years, at least once per summer.

It's quick to make, and I often divide into two pans, and refrigerate them, to be baked as a quick weekday dinner.

• 500g fusilli pasta
  • 250g dry mozzarella cheese - diced (apx 1cm sized cubes)
  • 40-100g cream (full fat, or a larger amount of half and half) - I usually go with 40g, but we tend to prefer things not overly rich
  • 4 large tomatoes (or 6 medium ones), preferably drier varieties, such as Roma tomatoes - cut into stripes
  • 8-9 minced garlic cloves - minced
  • apx 35g basil - chopped + more for serving
  • optional: 1-2 tsp nutritional yeast
  • plenty of pepper
  • salt to taste, 1-2 tsp (I'm a salt lover and often use 2, but it also depends on the saltiness of the cooking water)

• Cook the pasta a little shy of al dente.
  • Drain well, let cool a bit.
  • Place in a large bowl, mix in remaining ingredients.
  • Can be refrigerated at this point.
  • Place the entire amount or half of it in a shallow casserole dish that will contain the pasta so that it is not too tall - you want plenty of surface area.
  • Bake under a low broiler (~220-230 deg C) for apx. 40-50 minutes until the top browns very deeply and the pasta is very crisp.
  • Scatter some more basil.
  • Serve immediately.

IMG_20200703_214732.jpg

Edited by shain
Corrected title spelling (log)
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.